Question LaCie Rugged 500GB USB Hard Drive Issue

Aug 14, 2022
I have a LaCie Rugged 500GB USB External Hard Drive. It is connected to my Laptop via USB Hub. I transferred everything off of it just fine yesterday. My goal was to hook it up to my Xbox Series X for extra storage. Not to game off of, just to keep games on it for future play. Before I transferred everything, I hooked it up to my Xbox just to see if I could transfer games from there (Even though it had a bunch of files on it). My Xbox would only recognize it as a Media device, and it did not give me the option to format it from my Xbox. That's when I decided to transfer all the files on my Laptop, and try formatting it from my Laptop. The Format failed, and this is where my problems come in. Now, windows tells me that the drive can't be used unless it's formatted. Every time I try to format, both Quick and Full, it fails. Due to this, Windows does not recognize my drive as being there. Neither does my Xbox. Is there a better way to format? Maybe from Command Prompt? I think I may have bricked my drive. I've had it for many years and was hoping something could be done. Basically I need to be able to format this drive, but windows format fails every time, and due to that, it is not recognized in Device Manager, so I have no other options to format from within Windows. Any ideas?

Aug 14, 2022
Im new to this Forum. Can I attach an image here? Do I HAVE to upload it to a site and provide the link?
Sorry just saw your note. Give me a sec, need to set up an Imjur account

Edit: When I try and post the link, it says "Something went wrong. Please try again or contact the administrator." I've posted the image both on Public and Non. Still no-go.

My Disk Management shows Disk 0 Partition 1, Healthy, 260MB: Disk 0 Partition 4, Healthy, 1000MB, and Windows C, Healthy, 237.23GB.

That's all. No USB External Drive

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2022
Sorry for the repeat posts. Just wanted to update: I'm not sure how or why, but the quick format worked this morning. Both Windows and my Xbox recognize the drive. However, the Xbox will only be able to use it for storage of games, if it's USB 3.0, which my Hard Drive is not. Oh well :)