LaCie Updates 5big Thunderbolt 2 To 40 TB, Adds 5-Year Warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Antibios

Reputable
Sep 8, 2015
Well the article seems to state that RAID5 is the default. RAID is not a backup so there's no real concern for any responsible data hoarder anyway

dstarr3

Distinguished
I wish the need for backups didn't double the cost per gigabyte. It's so saddening to buy, say, two 8TB hard drives, look at the 16TB of storage, and then have do the responsible thing and resign yourself to only using half of that for storage, and the other half just for backup,

wrighar

Commendable
Mar 2, 2016
I have 2Tb of on PC storage, mirrored to another 2Tb of disc in PC.
This is then backed up to both a 2*3Tb Mirrored Nas, and 1*3Tb Nas in different locations, and I have 4*2Tb portable drives which I take rotating weekly copies...

so 2TB of usable space and 19Tb of backups/copies.

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
wrighar? All that redundancy and no protection against bit rot or silent corruption? Do you checksum the data?

I have two file servers. One running Windows without any raid. All important data is checksummed and verified before sending to the backup server.

Backup server is running Linux + ZFS. ZFS handles all the checksumming, snapshots, and corruption prevention with weekly scrubs.

As if that isnt enough for 2TB of data, any spare drives I have laying around get encrypted and filled with whatever data is important.

Status
Not open for further replies.