LaCie XtremKey USB Drive is Almost Indestructible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenixkatera

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
Cool, kind of sounds like my old titanium cruser but even more tough! I didn't realize flash drives were at 64GB. Wonder what the prices for these are going to run.

carickw

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
Sounds like the OCZ ATV (Turbo). Great performance and great durability. If the ATV stops working for any reason, you send it back and get a new one, although I can't seem to find them any more. I saw a video for the ATV in which they froze it in a block of ice, smashed it free with a sledge hammer, boiled it in water, and ran it over in a truck with no problems.

G

Great, but what happens when you bump it with your foot while it's still in the USB port? Any test footage of that :D

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]married_man[/nom]Great, but what happens when you bump it with your foot while it's still in the USB port? Any test footage of that[/citation]

Probably breaks the USB port in the computer :)

asjflask

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Ahh watertight! Finally! I can do all my business work on my boat in the middle of the Pacific and not have to worry, so long as I dive in and get it before it falls 101 meters into the ocean. Man, who knew that air traffic control could be done near where the Battle of Midway took place!?

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]Mark Heath[/nom]Doesn't matter how tough it gets, it's still gone if you lose it.[/citation]

Hahah I was going to post the exact same sentiment. I seem to be completely inept at keeping track of large capacity thumbdrives; I have lost two 8GB models in the past year and the only one I can't seem to lose is a slow old 1GB kingston that I've had for about 5 years.

I am becoming convinced that there is some relation between disk capacity and it's probability of disappearing... I think to break the 1GB barrier some sort of invisibilium is used in the manufacturing process.

wittermark

Distinguished
May 23, 2010
[citation][nom]joebob2000[/nom]Hahah I was going to post the exact same sentiment. I seem to be completely inept at keeping track of large capacity thumbdrives; I have lost two 8GB models in the past year and the only one I can't seem to lose is a slow old 1GB kingston that I've had for about 5 years. I am becoming convinced that there is some relation between disk capacity and it's probability of disappearing... I think to break the 1GB barrier some sort of invisibilium is used in the manufacturing process.[/citation]
thats because nobody bothers to steal 1gb usb sticks

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
[citation][nom]asjflask[/nom]Ahh watertight! Finally! I can do all my business work on my boat in the middle of the Pacific and not have to worry, so long as I dive in and get it before it falls 101 meters into the ocean. Man, who knew that air traffic control could be done near where the Battle of Midway took place!?[/citation]
to help you out there
http://www.lowes.com/pd_308309-37672-711079_?PL=1&productId=3056515&cm_mmc=search_gps-_-gps-_-gps-_-The%20Hillman%20Group%20Foam%20Float%20Key%20Chain

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]Chuck Norris could crush it with his bare hand.[/citation]

Not a fair comparison. Chuck Norris can make diamonds by crushing coal with his bare hands.

Chipi

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
That truck can't weigh more than 3 tons, maybe 3.5, but nowhere near 10 tons, so they're just a bunch of big fat liars

Accidental

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
Not to be overly critical of the video, but has the device been tested against 10 tons (9K Kilos) pressing against it on two hard surfaces? I bet the acual weight(PSI) limit is much less. The truck in the video is absolutely not 10 tons and it is being run over by a rubber tire which further decreases the pressure against it. Perhaps a PSI test?
I mean, I've never had to worry about a 10-ton truck in my life, but rather dropping electronics or having heavy things drop on it. I also wonder how many G-forces it can withstand.

Also, it looks like the video baked/boiled the device but did not leave in in there that long. Also, the freezer is far from -50 Celsius... perhaps -2 or -1 Celsius. How long can it actually withstand the exposure to either 200 Celsius or -50 Celsius? Just 5 minutes? 2? That would be nice to know.

And the video didn't have the device submerged in much water. It should show it sink 100m in perhaps the ocean and have a diver retrieve it.

Just saying.. let's see some more harsh scientific tests.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Probably breaks the USB port in the computer[/citation]
Unfortunately, you're right.
One of the front USB ports in my computer is broken due to a drunk friend...

I actually want one. Been needing a new flash drive for a while (these 1-2GB don't cut it).
Oddly enough, a old plastic cheap 1GB Kingston drive I have has been through hell repeatably and still works just fine. :D

G

Umm whoever said they didn't realize USB thumb drives were up to 64GB - newsflash - there are 512GB thumb drives out (kingston makes them) - and 1TB flash drives are on the horizon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS