LaCie XtremKey USB Drive is Almost Indestructible

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

"...which could be the world's toughest storage yet."

How about IronKey?

G

"...which could be the world's toughest storage yet."

How about IronKey?

G

All nice and stuff, but their weak point is NOT the outward shell, it is the connection point of the USB plug and the internal print circuit.

More than once have I destroyed one by just simply dropping a 2 pounds laptop on a bed, bending the USB stick at the port level.

What is a water resistant, heat and cold resistant, earthquake resistant flashdrive, when a simple 3 pounds can break the plug?

Gin Fushicho

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
[citation][nom]Phoenixkatera[/nom]Cool, kind of sounds like my old titanium cruser but even more tough! I didn't realize flash drives were at 64GB. Wonder what the prices for these are going to run.[/citation]

Kingston makes a 256GB. =D

jsm6746

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
great... the next time i boil, then bake, then accidentally drop in in a cup of water and freeze my usb drive... i'll be happy to know i can just crack it open with a hammer and all my mp3's and pron will be safe...

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
If its anything like the the corsair version I bought, its all rugged steal until you get to the actual usb connection where it becomes a weak usb connector attached to a flimsy printed circuit board shoved into a very solid inner casing and held there by a thin plastic gasket.

Bump the thing while connected and the gasket pops right off, the inner casing acts as a fulcrum ready to snap the inner workings in half and you'll find yourself carefully trying to reshape the think crumpled aluminum of the usb connector without snapping it.

Sealed up its indestructible, in use its more flimsy that any thumb drive I owed with the added bonus of it sticking out far and having to support a lot of weight.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
"All nice and tuff, but their weak point is NOT the outward shell, it is the connection point of the USB plug and the internal print circuit."

Correct, but they are marketing this product to gullible Apple fan boys, and as tech preliterates such people think that the casing of an electronic product is all that matters. Its the Apple story all over again.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
"lol it sucks cause they were using an apple in the tests haha"

Dumb Apple fanboys are quite susceptible to this type of advertisement and irrationality; they are known to lack reasoning skills. So using an Apple fanboy was a good tactic as it draws more of their kind and boosts sales. Probably the produce is also overpriced.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]"lol it sucks cause they were using an apple in the tests haha"Dumb Apple fanboys are quite susceptible to this type of advertisement and irrationality; they are known to lack reasoning skills. So using an Apple fanboy was a good tactic as it draws more of their kind and boosts sales. Probably the produce is also overpriced.[/citation]
Good assumption, but it's not the case here. LaCie have always been known to manufacture accessories and peripherals for Apple products. They are usually MAC/PC compatible, but they appeal to Mac users because they are compatible, of course, but also share the look of Apple products. In the external HD segment, LaCie makes solid products that are competitive to WD and the like for quality/price.

I know I sound like an ad, but I use to sell LaCie products and I really like them! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS