Lack of display issue, help needed!

wheelswilly

Reputable
Sep 29, 2014
Hey so my buddy is having a problem with his PC. All of sudden he is getting a boot-up issue. When he powers on the rig, his drives boot up, his fans start up along with all the lights within the chassis, but for some reason there is no video output. He tested this on his monitor and a TV to no avail. He is worried that his GPU is fried. He has never OCed it. I'll link his build for reference.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 ATX AM3+ Motherboard Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory Video Card: Asus Radeon R7 260X 2GB DirectCU II Video Card Case: Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case Power Supply: Rosewill Green 630W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply

If anyone could help us solve this issue, we would greatly appreciate it!

Also if I am in the wrong forum category, I do apologize. I didn't know exactly where to post this troubleshooting issue.

Solution
How do you know that the Drives boot, if he is not getting any video output on a display device(monitor or TV)? First try the VGA, DVI, and HDMI (or which ones are available) ports on the Graphics card. That way you are checking if there's an issue with the output ports on the video card.

Also try to reset the BIOS (remove power cable from power supply, hold the power button for 5-20 seconds, find the Clear Cmos battery and apply it as described by the mainboard's manufacturer to perform a CMOS reset. leave it like that for another minute. Change the Clear cmos jumpers back to their original state, put back the CMOS battery, connect the power cable and switch back on the computer. Clearing the CMOS will also lose the settings which...

bonou2

Reputable
Mar 8, 2014
How do you know that the Drives boot, if he is not getting any video output on a display device(monitor or TV)? First try the VGA, DVI, and HDMI (or which ones are available) ports on the Graphics card. That way you are checking if there's an issue with the output ports on the video card.

Also try to reset the BIOS (remove power cable from power supply, hold the power button for 5-20 seconds, find the Clear Cmos battery and apply it as described by the mainboard's manufacturer to perform a CMOS reset. leave it like that for another minute. Change the Clear cmos jumpers back to their original state, put back the CMOS battery, connect the power cable and switch back on the computer. Clearing the CMOS will also lose the settings which were applied (like Boot options).

Try to remove the RAM, and install it again. If that does not solve it, attach the RAM to another RAM slot and see what happens. If this does not solve this issue, try another RAM, and repeat the procedure (try it on the other RAM slots).
RAM issues does not always make beeps.

If the above does not solve your issue, try another Graphics card, turn on the computer system and see what happens. If he gets video output with another graphics card, then it is either the Graphics card (faulty or died), or it was not seated properly in its slot.

Solution