ericeagle92

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2008
Can a lack of power when running demanding programs like games cause just that program to shut down? Whenever I run a demanding game like WIC or Empire Total War after a random amount of time it stops working and closes. But it takes less time when I have the setting higher. And it takes even less time when I'm either logged on to steam or playing online. Is it the Power Supply. What does the Internet being on have to do with it. WIC doesn't close when i'm not logged on. It's really annoying i can't just sit and play a game they always close. What is happening?

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
My best guesses...
CPU overheating. (realtemp, as Proximon suggested, or coretemp.)
Memory timings or voltages. I'd expect this to be an issue on POST, but if voltage is borderline, maybe... Memtest86+ for RAM.
CPU... HP is not known for poor quality PSU's, but did OP add RAM? Don't see any configurations of HP with 6 GB ram and Vista 64.

Ultimate boot cd has all of these utilities (and more). I'd also expect HP to have test tools as well, but may require a service call.

OK, then I guess we need more info on your psu. Does it have any info printed on it? Like how many amps/watts on the 12 volt? Thats help alot, so we can break down how good your psu is. Also, 3.3 volt and 5 volt

Have you looked at your temps? Check the links above for temps. Higher usage demand usually not only means more power needed, but all the heatt from that power needs to go somewheres. If its overheating, it could be shutting your system down.
With so little info on your psu, and not having the old links to HPs psu's anymore, my guess is its adequate as far as power needs, unless its faulty.
Download the things proximon linked to, run them while your rig is stressed, and see what your temps are.

Thats high. Make sure your system is clean. No dust, also, try this. Run it with the side off, and if you have a small fan, if you can, aim the fan at the open side of your case. Run it hard. If it doesnt shut down, its a heat issue. Vut make sure its clean first