Lack of resources to support ports.

I am running WindowsXP Pro on an up to date computer. For purposes of using
both my Laser printer and Ink Jet printer at the same time I installed a
second printer port in a PCI slot. When I started the computer it seemed to
install but wouldn't print. Went to My Computer, Properties, Hardware,
Device Manager. It shows two communications ports, Com1 & Com2. Also shows
LPT1 & LPT3. Also shows two serial ports, COM11 and COM9. Only LPT1 is
operating. All of the others show "This device cannot find enough free
resources that it can use.(Code 12)" I have tried uninstalling all of the
ports and then starting over again but I
always end up with the same problem, except the two serial ports will switch
COM#s. I have also tried just disabling all the ports, and trying to
install LPT3, to no avail.

1. Can anyone tell me what I may be doing wrong, or a procedure to free the
resources to run the LPT ports and all the others?

2. How can I clear all the resources to start over, and would that help?

Many thanks for any assistance.
Ralph

Hi,

You may have better luck in the windowsxp.hardware group, but offhand one
thing I can think of is that the card is installed in the PCI slot next to
an AGP slot, and that may be causing the problem. It may not be resources
you need to free up, but probably rather an IRQ. You might try running the
hardware troubleshooter to see what it is conflicting with.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Ralph Hutchinson" <a78be3@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I am running WindowsXP Pro on an up to date computer. For purposes of
>using both my Laser printer and Ink Jet printer at the same time I
>installed a second printer port in a PCI slot. When I started the computer
>it seemed to install but wouldn't print. Went to My Computer, Properties,
>Hardware, Device Manager. It shows two communications ports, Com1 & Com2.
>Also shows LPT1 & LPT3. Also shows two serial ports, COM11 and COM9. Only
>LPT1 is operating. All of the others show "This device cannot find enough
>free resources that it can use.(Code 12)" I have tried uninstalling all of
>the ports and then starting over again but I
> always end up with the same problem, except the two serial ports will
> switch COM#s. I have also tried just disabling all the ports, and trying
> to install LPT3, to no avail.
>
> 1. Can anyone tell me what I may be doing wrong, or a procedure to free
> the resources to run the LPT ports and all the others?
>
> 2. How can I clear all the resources to start over, and would that help?
>
> Many thanks for any assistance.
> Ralph

Rick,

You may well be dead on. It is next to the AGP slot. I'll check it out.
Thanks again. You have come across for me several times.

Ralph