Question Lacking temp sensor header - workarounds?

anvoice

Honorable
Jan 12, 2018
I've got an Asrock Taichi x670e motherboard around which I'm completing a build with a custom cooling loop. Unfortunately I neglected to check beforehand whether the Taichi has a temperature sensor header - apparently it does not. So I'm wondering what my options are for getting water temperature information into the motherboard.

I noticed that the mobo has a UART header, so would it be possible to hook up a small arduino-like board to read the temperature and feed it to the mobo via UART to control fan curves/do emergency shutdown?

Is this even necessary, considering that the CPU/GPU will react to high water temps (say due to a broken pump) almost immediately anyway and throttle as needed?

anvoice

Honorable
Jan 12, 2018
Is getting water temperature to the motherboard mandatory?
No, just something I assumed is good practice. I know what they say about assumptions.
For the sake of relevance, can you clarify where this UART header you speak of, is?
Looking at page 7, I think you're misinterpreting the ARGB header for an UART header.
Bottom left of board, to the right of the audio header, says "UART1".

Edit: got a chance to look at the manual you linked, and indeed it's not labeled there. But it definitely exists, right next to the audio header. I can add photo if necessary.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS