[SOLVED] Lackluster performance on rtx 2080 msi trio x

Dhops

Reputable
Sep 29, 2019
As title says, I have a ryzen 5 3600, 16 gb of ram, and this card, however the performance isn't what I've seen on benchmarks and videos with the exact same components as mine (Maybe one difference is ram frequency)
I play apex legends as my main game and whilst running the game on 1080p and everything on low but v-ram reserved for textures on the low (2gb vram setting) I average around 120 fps with drops down to 94, this isn't the performance I saw considering I saw apex on ultra average 120 fps, and on low average around the 200s with this setup, any idea what this could be?

Solution
5600X for a 2080? Yeah no. A 3600 will run it just fine.

Userbenchmark test and link is the way to go so we can continue further. RAM speed is a very determining factor when it comes to Ryzen gaming performance.
There is no bottleneck between the 3600 and 2080, only the 3000 series bottleneck a bit at 1080p, so run benchmark, plus AMD needs dual channel ram, if yours is a single stick make it X2, and see if you have enabled xmp mode in bios.

coolraveen

Commendable
May 26, 2020
5600X for a 2080? Yeah no. A 3600 will run it just fine.

Userbenchmark test and link is the way to go so we can continue further. RAM speed is a very determining factor when it comes to Ryzen gaming performance.
There is no bottleneck between the 3600 and 2080, only the 3000 series bottleneck a bit at 1080p, so run benchmark, plus AMD needs dual channel ram, if yours is a single stick make it X2, and see if you have enabled xmp mode in bios.

Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
-Using 2666 ram kit instead of a 3200 one isn't helping. Though I don't expect replacing it to magically give you 80fps more either - maybe 20. Some apps are sensitive to ram speed, and some aren't.
-Kingston A400 strikes again. Notoriously popular Dramless SSD because of the price - performance quickly falls off a cliff before these drives get even half full. Using 240GB model too, so it doesn't take much effort for that.
-7200rpm spinning drive might be slow for specific titles. Monitor disk usage!

I think that's all that sticks out there... well, maybe the gpu is running a bit warm?

The others may advise you further.

Dhops

Reputable
Sep 29, 2019
-Using 2666 ram kit instead of a 3200 one isn't helping. Though I don't expect replacing it to magically give you 80fps more either - maybe 20. Some apps are sensitive to ram speed, and some aren't.
-Kingston A400 strikes again. Notoriously popular Dramless SSD because of the price - performance quickly falls off a cliff before these drives get even half full. Using 240GB model too, so it doesn't take much effort for that.
-7200rpm spinning drive might be slow for specific titles. Monitor disk usage!

I think that's all that sticks out there... well, maybe the gpu is running a bit warm?

The others may advise you further.
That is true I have been noticing this ssd is failing me quite a bit in many situations I might just get a new one, which sata one do you recommend?

As others have said, getting a matching set of good, 3200MHz RAM will improve things. Getting a better SSD may help a bit too.

Are you overclocking your GPU? It doesn't look like you're running it at stock speeds. If you are you could be having issues with the GPU downclocking.

Dhops

Reputable
Sep 29, 2019
I am not overclocking my GPU, as far as I know it is not overclocked, watt usage in most games isn't that insane according to nvidia, and as of now I got 1515MHZ core clock and 50C Temp and 46 watts usage