[SOLVED] Lag in game when it should run fine ?

ceci_16

Commendable
May 10, 2021
So I recently bought the HP Pavilion gaming desktop with:

AMD 6-Core Ryzen 5 3500
GeForce GTX 1650 Super
8 GB RAM.

I’m new to pc gaming, but I have a ps4 and have been comparing the games between my ps4 and this PC. One game that I was comparing is fortnite and found that it lags often on my pc at 60 fps and 1080p. However the videos that I watched about this pc, before I bought it, all had good things to say and had gameplay that showed fortnite running well at around 120 fps. I know that they recommended people upgrade the RAM (which I believe would be going from 8 gigs to 16?), but I was wondering if there was anything else I could do to increase fps because I feel that it should run fortnite at 60 fps with no problem. Any tips or advice would greatly be appreciated, thank you!

Solution
Is the RAM 1x8GB or 2x4GB sticks? Ideally you'll want to have 2 (matching) sticks running in dual channel mode.
Also note that many of these OEM systems have very limited Bios options. What speed is your memory running at? You may not have the ability to adjust it in Bios. Which means that it's up to Bios alone to run at any particular speed.
The system you bought is relatively low power for a gaming PC. If you can afford to upgrade the memory with 16 gig of 3200mhz or faster ram that will help. Also moving to a Ryzen 5 3600x or 5600x will provide a big boost over the Ryzen 3500 processor.

If spending more to improve performance is not an option then I would recommend trying the game with reduced graphics settings. Go on Youtube and search for "how to optimize" videos for the game you're playing and try following the guides to improve your fps in game. Typically turning off v-sync, reducing shadow quality, ambient occlusion, and anti-aliasing settings are the big hitters for improved performance but each game is different.

Is the RAM 1x8GB or 2x4GB sticks? Ideally you'll want to have 2 (matching) sticks running in dual channel mode.
Also note that many of these OEM systems have very limited Bios options. What speed is your memory running at? You may not have the ability to adjust it in Bios. Which means that it's up to Bios alone to run at any particular speed.

Solution

ceci_16

Commendable
May 10, 2021
i beieve its 2x4 gb sticks. but I would have to open my pc to make sure and that’s something i was planning on doing to upgrade the ram and ssd. :)