Lag in open world games. RAM or CPU fault?

trollen102

Prominent
Mar 8, 2017
So when I am running any open world game, like GTA V or Fortnite I am having some FPS and rendering issues. Like in GTA V when I am driving I have 60+ FPS but terrible stutter and textures are not rendering in time. Same in fortnite when I am landing all the building are still using low LOD models.

So I was wondering is it my preety bad CPU issue or me having only 4GB of ram. Both ram and CPU have high load while GPU has 25% while running fortnite at lowest settings. So either CPU can't keep up, or RAM is full and there is no space for textures.

What do you think?

Specs:

MSI GTX 1050 AERO ITX
Pentium G2020 2.9GHz 2 core
4 GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM

Solution
RAM def is probably an issue, 8GB is the bare minimum but anymore with Windows and alot of games 16GB is becoming the new min in alot of games. As to low GPU load you can increase the GPU load by pushing up some of the graphical settings and it may improve performance, I know it sounds counter intuitive but turning down settings doesn't always maximize performance.
RAM def is probably an issue, 8GB is the bare minimum but anymore with Windows and alot of games 16GB is becoming the new min in alot of games. As to low GPU load you can increase the GPU load by pushing up some of the graphical settings and it may improve performance, I know it sounds counter intuitive but turning down settings doesn't always maximize performance.

Solution

trollen102

Prominent
Mar 8, 2017

Wow! So i tried running Fortnite at Epic (except for shadows because i heard they are cpu heavy) and it was running much better! Much less lag spikes (but still present) but there still textures are not loading when landing for almost a minute so that is enough to get me killed. I am buying another 4GB RAM stick Friday probably and then i'll think about a new Motherboard and a CPU. Thanks!

trollen102

Prominent
Mar 8, 2017

Well, the GPU is enough to run Fortnite at almost epic settings and 80 fps. I am not expecting it to run everything at maxed out ultra but i know GPU is enough to run some older games and newer ones at low. Just CPU and RAM are my problem right now and i didn't know if i shoud buy RAM or wait and buy it with a new motherboard and CPU.

TRENDING THREADS