Question Lag/Performance Issues After Installing New SSD

Jun 15, 2019
A few days ago I installed a SanDisk Ultra 1TB SSD into my computer to use as a boot drive. As soon as I plugged it in, I noticed my computer overall was not performing as well, but I didn't look into it much. I used Macrium Reflect to clone all files and partitions from my HDD to the new SSD. Then, I went into the BIOS and made Windows boot from the SSD, and I ensured that it was set to AHCI mode. From there, Windows took a lot less time to boot, which was great. But now, there is a lot of stuttering, lag spikes, etc when doing almost anything. Watching YouTube videos is slower and any game is nearly unplayable now. I looked all over google for many hours for solutions and I found nothing. Also, I think this issue started as soon as I plugged the SSD in, not after I cloned the disk.

I've done all of the following so far:

Checking Event Logs (nothing unusual)
Monitoring Task Manager while playing games (nothing is taking up too many resources)
Checking Temperatures (normal)
Plugging the SATA 3 cable into different ports
Using a different SATA 3 cable
Clearing storage off of the SSD
Updating firmware and drivers
Turning LPM off

For some reason, last night, all performance issues briefly went away and everything was running insanely smooth. But when I booted up my computer today, the same stuttering and lag issues came back. The last thing I remember doing last night prior to the smoothness was swapping out the SATA 3 cable for a different one, but I'm assuming that wasn't what temporarily fixed my problem.

If nothing else helps, I might try reinstalling Windows. Any help is greatly appreciated, and it's worth noting I'm not good when it comes to hardware.

Specs:
ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4170 CPU @ 3.70GHz
Radeon RX 580 Series
16 GB RAM DDR3
Windows 10
SanDisk Ultra 1TB SSD

Jun 15, 2019
could be something came loose when you install the ssd.
check cpu/gpu temp? ram?

I noticed CPU temperatures were extremely high (95 degrees). The CPU cooler appeared to be loose with bent pins (I might have fidgeted with it or pushed it when installing the SSD). I got it back in place and this helped immensely, and CPU temperatures went back to normal. But games and tasks are still feeling more choppy compared to before I installed the SSD. Thanks for the help, though!

Have you tried disabling SATA Aggressive Link Power Management? Tried a different sata slot? Tried using ide to see if it changes? Try using this latency monitor and see if it comes up with anything. https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

I used the latency monitor and I got the following message:

"Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One or more DPC routines that belong to a drive running in your system appear to be executing for too long. At least one detected problem appears to be network related. In case you are using a WLAN adapter, try disabling it to get better results. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling in settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check BIOS for updates."

I'm not quite sure what much of that means, but I tried disabling CPU throttling in control panel + in the BIOS and that did not give any better results.

seanwebster

Contributing Writer
Editor
Aug 30, 2018
Over heating? Bent pins? Now you’re talking about CPU/socket damage and are wondering why your system is acting strange? That’s your answer right there! This was the most vital piece of info. Why did you leave it out before? Lol

Even straightening out bent pins doesn’t always fix them and the system can continue to glitch or crash. I’ve bent back pins on my z97 socket and things worked for a year or so more until the mobo finally decided it’s days were over and it died for real. But while it worked, some USBs didn’t and audio was messed up half the time, and the system would crash randomly every now and then.

Also, renenable thermal throttling please. It helps to protect the chip when you do mess things up and prevent it from killing itself with too much heat when the cooler fails...like in your situation.

Jun 15, 2019
Over heating? Bent pins? Now you’re talking about CPU/socket damage and are wondering why your system is acting strange? That’s your answer right there! This was the most vital piece of info. Why did you leave it out before? Lol

Even straightening out bent pins doesn’t always fix them and the system can continue to glitch or crash. I’ve bent back pins on my z97 socket and things worked for a year or so more until the mobo finally decided it’s days were over and it died for real. But while it worked, some USBs didn’t and audio was messed up half the time, and the system would crash randomly every now and then.

Also, renenable thermal throttling please. It helps to protect the chip when you do mess things up and prevent it from killing itself with too much heat when the cooler fails...like in your situation.

I didn't notice the CPU overheating issue until I read the first reply, so it wasn't mentioned in the original post. My CPU itself is fine but there were 4 pins on the CPU cooler that made the entire cooler loose. Since the cooler wasn't flush against the CPU, the temperatures went nuts. And yeah, I quickly re-enabled thermal throttling, I had just turned it off for a bit to see if it would speed up my system at all. But, thanks for the heads up! I also think there's another part of the problem aside from the CPU issue though, as the latency monitor showed.

Wheel in the Sky

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2013
What are CPU cooler pins? I thought the only pins in the area were the CPU socket itself.

Anyway, you could try reapplying thermal paste. If tightening the CPU cooler helped a lot but not completely, maybe that would help even more.

TRENDING THREADS