[SOLVED] Lag spikes every 20-30 sec for 2 seconds, then goes back to perfect. Not sure why?

Feb 7, 2020
Hi, every 20-30 seconds my lag spikes, not sure why? I checked the CPU and GPU and they seem fine, but one problem I am noticing is that my hard drive goes to 100 percent usage every 4 seconds then goes back down. Can anyone help me?

Solution
Post the PC's full specs.

one problem I am noticing is that my hard drive goes to 100 percent usage every 4 seconds then goes back down.
It could be:
-running out of ram. When that happens, the system writes temporary files to the hard drive, which is much slower than physical memory, thus everything slows down
-virus or malware
-running a slower 5400rpm storage drive? In a game where the files need to be accessed frequently, this may be problematic.

Perhaps a combination of the 3.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Post the PC's full specs.

one problem I am noticing is that my hard drive goes to 100 percent usage every 4 seconds then goes back down.
It could be:
-running out of ram. When that happens, the system writes temporary files to the hard drive, which is much slower than physical memory, thus everything slows down
-virus or malware
-running a slower 5400rpm storage drive? In a game where the files need to be accessed frequently, this may be problematic.

Perhaps a combination of the 3.

Solution
Feb 7, 2020
Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VII Hero WIFi
Ram: G.Skill 3200 (2x8)
Power Supply: CorsairRM750
CPU: Ryzen 2700x
GPU: EVGA gtx 1070
Drives:
WD Black 2 TB (the one thats having problems)
Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Running any 3rd party software, like Msi Dragon Center, NZXT Cam, Corsair iCUE, Zone Alarm, Avast, etc?

What games are you playing? Perhaps one of them is suffering from a memory leak, forcing disk usage?
Have you tried verifying file integrity?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
What does Task Manager show for Memory usage during these hiccups?

What are the top 5 applications for Disk usage as well?

We should make sure everything is working normally before you go out and get an SSD... only to find that nothing changes.

TRENDING THREADS