OhFuji

Commendable
Jul 26, 2019
I get frame drops/ lag spikes in open world games. for an example rust/gta/minecraft/mordhau. but for games like rainbow six siege where its a small map i dont. i have a gtx 1070 i7 6700k 16gb ram 1tb hard drive 400 watt power supply. i dont know why i get lag spikes, ill be on a high fps then it will spike in performance when i seem to load in more or the world. i dont know if its my ram or whatever. anyone know any reasons?

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
no, because the PSU doesn't connect to the motherboard in any way that allows data and information to travel around therefore no software is capable of seeing what it is, all it does is supply power to the system and extra components.

Did you build it yourself or was it already prebuilt for you?
If prebuilt, is it a custom prebuilt from somebody you bought second hand from or is it prebuilt like Dell or HP or custom prebuilt like iBuyPower and CyberpowerPC?

OhFuji

Commendable
Jul 26, 2019
no, because the PSU doesn't connect to the motherboard in any way that allows data and information to travel around therefore no software is capable of seeing what it is, all it does is supply power to the system and extra components.

If prebuilt, is it a custom prebuilt from somebody you bought second hand from or is it prebuilt like Dell or HP or custom prebuilt like iBuyPower and CyberpowerPC?

its prebuilt [lenovo] i swapped the ram for 2 8gb sticks at christmas and about a year ago i put in a i7 6700k. its like 2 and a half years old.

OhFuji

Commendable
Jul 26, 2019
ok, so definitely a cheap power supply in there for sure.
I would wager that to be your issue.
It's probably just not able to properly power both the GPU and CPU you have.
could u recommend a PSU to buy thats compatible? [edit] and do u think it could be my hard drive and that a ssd would help or nah?

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
it is possible that you could be experiencing issues from a slow hard drive, but only if it's 5400rpm, because a 7200rpm drive shouldn't cause these kinds of issues.

I can recommend a PSU, but what I recommend will depend on your budget.

Please provide a budget and tell me the currency and your country.

OhFuji

Commendable
Jul 26, 2019
i found out t
it is possible that you could be experiencing issues from a slow hard drive, but only if it's 5400rpm, because a 7200rpm drive shouldn't cause these kinds of issues.

i found out that my PSU is bronze and 430 watt. sterling/pound currency. budget is £120 but i dont wanna spend big on something that might not even have an impact.

OhFuji

Commendable
Jul 26, 2019

my hardrive is this [Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM010 - hard drive - 1 TB - SATA 6Gb/s | ST1000DM010] it didnt say anything about 7200rpm or even mention rpm at all

Delete all partitions of this drive. And create new partition. After that install games on it. (if it is boot drive then add at least 120GB of SSD.)

And I recommend you to get 550 or 650 watt of PSU. From Corsair or Coolermaster... It is recommended because 400 watt PSU can't handle this much load.

OhFuji

Commendable
Jul 26, 2019
Delete all partitions of this drive. And create new partition. After that install games on it. (if it is boot drive then add at least 120GB of SSD.)

And I recommend you to get 550 or 650 watt of PSU. From Corsair or Coolermaster... It is recommended because 400 watt PSU can't handle this much load.
how do i delete all partions of my drive? can i just buy this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product...B078WST5RK&linkCode=as2&tag=topcho406-21&th=1 have it as my bootdrive. and get a psu 650 watts