[SOLVED] lag spikes maybe power problems help please.

Feb 14, 2019
so..... been having this issue for a while now, when im gaming mainly racing games while also streaming im getting huge lag spikes which as you can imagine mid corner that can mess up a whole race. after looking at task manager while this is happening i saw both my cpu and graphics are running at a steady 75-80% load then both suddenly drop to 30% ish and i get the lag spike above mentioned. temperatures are fine as i have a lot of cooling. 30 - 40 degrees under load.
my spec
AMD FX 8350 ( not overclocked)
gtx 1070 ( not oc)
16gb memory
250gb ssd
800W PSU
6 x 120mm fans***

** the reason im stating this is that ive done some investigating and a psu calculator says while gaming i would need 1000+W with that spec, is this true? i know the FX CPU'S use a lot of power and my gtx 1070 under load would use a fair bit so i can sort of believe this, however at £200 i need to make sure that is my issue. any thoughts? im running games in 1080p and i lowered stream settings with no help. i had this issue in the past and it was apm ( automatic power management) in bios, but that is off so cant be that. so im kinda stuck and looking for advice? thankyou in advance

gasaraki

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
No. You do not need 1000W for that build not even close.

I would start by making sure your cpu cooler is on tight. I might even take it off and reapply the thermal paste if it has been awhile. There is NO WAY that the FX-8350 is at 30-40C at full load. Also I don't see how the cpu is not running at 100% if you are playing at 1080p

Feb 14, 2019
No. You do not need 1000W for that build not even close.

I would start by making sure your cpu cooler is on tight. I might even take it off and reapply the thermal paste if it has been awhile. There is NO WAY that the FX-8350 is at 30-40C at full load. Also I don't see how the cpu is not running at 100% if you are playing at 1080p

i kinda didnt think i needed that much hence me asking, i just sat and tried to recreate the issue for a pic of my figures - View: https://imgur.com/a/6PTpt74
i ran a benchmark for 10 mins and set my recording off and waited the 1st drop you can see is the issue the 2nd is me alt tabbing out to grab the pic. you can see the drop on my GPU bottom left