[SOLVED] Lag spikes on Win7 pcs but not on Win10

Jan 16, 2019
This has been driving me crazy for 9 months. It appears to be that my windows 10 pcs almost never have any problems, but my Win7 pcs are getting worse in terms of lag spikes.

I joined 100 meg NBN with MyRepublic a year ago and everything was perfect. After 3 months they made some change that meant I would get lag spikes causing a 5 second delay, roughly every 5 minutes.

Speedtest.net was always great, ping and tracert tests were never conclusive. After 6 months of not solving my issue, I changed to Belong internet, which was even worse from Day 1, but slightly different. The lag spikes were much more severe when I had them, but power cycling everything nearly always made it all good. Belong have been almost no help, always promising I'll get a phone call from Level 2 support, but never do. Have now reported them to Ombudsman.

But the issue gradually got worse, to the point where power cycling almost never fixes it, and by a LOT of trial and error, all seems pretty good if I only use my Windows 10 PC's, but the smaller case means I cant use my best video cards.

I have 2 brand new routers that I swap out from Belong but doesn't help. Replaced my network cables. All my PC are roughly 3ghz and 8meg RAM, 4 wired, and have about 4 devices that use WIFI.

The best evidence I get is when playing a simple Java game of Bloodbowl at fumbbl.com as it shows ping time. Generally around 300 when good, and spikes to 5000 etc when clearly has an issue. Even on a completely fresh Win7 install on SSD drive still had this issue.

I am a bit suspicious of IPv4 and IPV6 conflicts, but don't know much about these. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Solution
I would disable IPv6 in your pc and the router if possible IPv6 is still not used by many sites so most people can turn if off.

It would be unlikely it is windows OS issue when it happens on multiple machines. Pretty easy to test. Leave a constant ping run to your router IP and see if you get increases in the latency when the game programs shows it.

Otherwise it is a matter of running tracert and then run constant ping to the various hops in the trace. You goal is to find the lowest hop (closest to you) that is seeing this problem. It may not even be in your ISP it could be in another ISP. Your hope is that it is in hop2 which for most people represents the connection between your house and the ISP
I would disable IPv6 in your pc and the router if possible IPv6 is still not used by many sites so most people can turn if off.

It would be unlikely it is windows OS issue when it happens on multiple machines. Pretty easy to test. Leave a constant ping run to your router IP and see if you get increases in the latency when the game programs shows it.

Otherwise it is a matter of running tracert and then run constant ping to the various hops in the trace. You goal is to find the lowest hop (closest to you) that is seeing this problem. It may not even be in your ISP it could be in another ISP. Your hope is that it is in hop2 which for most people represents the connection between your house and the ISP

Solution