[SOLVED] Lag spikes when another Ethernet cable plugged into router

Jun 5, 2020
We have multiple Ethernet cables from around the house plugged into the router, I found that my ping (used ping www.google.com -t) is 100% perfect when the ethernet cord from my brothers room isnt plugged in. As soon as that cable is plugged into the router, I get ping spikes every 10 or so seconds. The Ethernet cable causing the issue doesn't even need to be plugged into a computer to cause it. All the cables are a week old and are identical models. Also, this doesn't happen when other ethernet cables from other sources are plugged in, its just that specific one. Is there a reason for this?

Solution
Jun 5, 2020
Where do those wall outlets go? I bet the problem is there with the all-too-common 'I'm an electrician and I know how to wire' terminations that aren't to ethernet specs.
Well I called them wall outlets, but they have the Ethernet cable directly from the router and they the socket on the other side for your computer's cable. But the lag still happens even when there is nothing plugged into the wall socket.

Well I called them wall outlets, but they have the Ethernet cable directly from the router and they the socket on the other side for your computer's cable. But the lag still happens even when there is nothing plugged into the wall socket.
Yep, it sounds like bad wiring if I'm following you--you're saying that any wire connected from that jack to the router causes issues, correct?

Jun 5, 2020
Yep, it sounds like bad wiring if I'm following you--you're saying that any wire connected from that jack to the router causes issues, correct?
Yeah any wire from the jack causes issues for the other Ethernet connections from the router. What confuses me though is nothing has to even be plugged into the jack to cause lag.

Last edited:
Yeah any wire from the jack causes issues for the other Ethernet connections from the router. What confuses me though is nothing has to even be plugged into the jack to cause lag.
Yep, this is a bad termination and/or possibly a short, which would do exactly that unfortunately.

Luckily, it is something you can easily open up and visually check based on it should have been done:
https://www.cableorganizer.com/learning-center/how-to/how-to-wire-keystone-jack.htm

Reactions: Pliven
Solution