[SOLVED] Lag Spikes

Narexa

Commendable
Aug 9, 2019
Hi, so I've had this issue for the longest time now and nothing ever helps it. My internet is fine sometimes, but usually when people connect to the wifi even though I'm on a different channel it lags, It tends to go to like 500 Ping in games then just completely disconnect me from the internet, I can't use Ethernet (but I wish I could) as the router is too far away to get a wire to it, any suggestions?

Things I've tried so far:

Using a different adapter
Flushing DNS
Trying 5GhZ
Changing Channels
netsh wlan set autoconfig enabled=no interface="WiFi"
Uninstalling the driver
Reinstalling windows

Non of these have worked and I have no idea how to fix it.

If I had little lag spikes I'd understand but my ping literally goes to like 500-600 then completely disconnects me from my internet until I reconnect which I sometimes need to restart for.

Solution
How do you think you use a different channel than other users. Unless you mean you connect to 5g and they connect to 2.4g.

I would test sitting next to the router just to see if it is different. Maybe your signal level is very marginal.

The most common cause of this is not even equipment in your house it is from your neighbors. Now days you will not find uncontested channels. A single tri-band router can use 2/3 of the 2.4g and 8/9 of 5g bandwidth. If you have multiple neighbors doing this or if they are running mesh systems you have massive over utilization of the frequencies.

I would still test on ethernet so you know if it is a wifi problem or maybe you get lucky and it is something else. Even if it is a pain to test...
How do you think you use a different channel than other users. Unless you mean you connect to 5g and they connect to 2.4g.

I would test sitting next to the router just to see if it is different. Maybe your signal level is very marginal.

The most common cause of this is not even equipment in your house it is from your neighbors. Now days you will not find uncontested channels. A single tri-band router can use 2/3 of the 2.4g and 8/9 of 5g bandwidth. If you have multiple neighbors doing this or if they are running mesh systems you have massive over utilization of the frequencies.

I would still test on ethernet so you know if it is a wifi problem or maybe you get lucky and it is something else. Even if it is a pain to test you don't want to be chasing the wrong issues.

Many times there is no solution to wifi issues and games. You might consider powerline networks instead of wifi.

Solution