Question Lag w/ New TV

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
If you are talking about lag where things get jumpy and frames get choppy then obviously you have an issue with gaming hardware.

If you are talking about a lag between inputs and what happens on screen, then that's because new TV's by default have this ability to "enhance' the picture for movies and stuff and you need to go into the TV settings and turn on Game Mode and turn off all the advanced features leaving only the default six features. These default six features are as follows:

Backlight
Brightness
Contrast
Tint
Sharpness
Color

Everything else needs to be turned to the "OFF" setting and Game Mode needs to be turned "ON"

That should fix the image from having that soap opera effect, as well as reduce the input latency to a normal level that is playable.

But like I said, if we are talking about frame rate lag with spikes in the frame rate and such, then that's another story and we can definitely look into this further.

troym514

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2013
Are my PC specs showing up in "signature"? I can post them if not. Thank you.

I looked into the Game Mode thing and my TV does appear change its "scene selection" to Game Mode appropriately. By default, it should turn off the features you listed on it's own when it goes into Game Mode. As a personal preference, I want the TV to make its own adjustments to performance to avoid changing settings in the menu and if its not doing that Id replace with something more suitable.

Is it known whether or not a CPU can limit screen size or resolution(4K) capabilities? I've always thought that was completely up to GPU.

Are my PC specs showing up in "signature"? I can post them if not. Thank you.

I looked into the Game Mode thing and my TV does appear change its "scene selection" to Game Mode appropriately. By default, it should turn off the features you listed on it's own when it goes into Game Mode. As a personal preference, I want the TV to make its own adjustments to performance to avoid changing settings in the menu and if its not doing that Id replace with something more suitable.

Is it known whether or not a CPU can limit screen size or resolution(4K) capabilities? I've always thought that was completely up to GPU.

Your system is not good enough to play in 4k unless you drop settings to low, even then it can have issues in some games.

Also TVs have more input lag than monitors, especially gaming monitors.

If you want to use the TV, set the display to 1080 resolution but you will probably still see a bit of lag vs a monitor.

Not all TVs can process an HDMI PC input and display it instantaneously.....

Look for some guidance on one of Barnaclese Nerdgasm's videos from a year or two ago where he discusses setting TV settings to eliminate image processing lag...

MIght be your TV, not your PC at all.... (You'd need a real 4k monitor (vs. a TV) known not to lag to test it, however...

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Ok. So I'm going to give my opinion on the matter at hand, then I'm going to respond directly to your previous comment about that curved monitor.

Your CPU is old and underpowered.
For 4K, you're not getting anywhere.
For ultrawide 2K, you going to have almost the same kind of hard time.
Not to mention that it pretty much becomes an issue for your VRAM too since you only have 3.5GB of usable VRAM before everything get's slowed down to a crawl once you dip into that last remaining 0.5GB.

So honestly, 4K and ultrawide are out of the picture for you right now.

However, if you are dead set on having something like that monitor and just playing at a 1080p ultrawide resolution until you get the necessary upgrades to support you playing at UW2K, then you can get all the specs of that monitor but for less at the following link.

Acer Predator Z35 - $749.99
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1352852-REG/acer_um_cz1aa_p01_predator_z35_35_uwqhd.html

If it was me though, I find all the ultrawide and curved action to be a gimmick that isn't really necessary and a waste of money, and I would personally get something like this. (P.S. I personally have a Dell S2716DG and love it.)
Dell S2716DG - $444.70 (Currently on sale and limited stock left)

Or if you wanted to go down on price a little and get the 2017 model that is 24"
Dell S2417DG - $319.99

And that's for the 1440p stuff.

Here's what you get for 1080p that kind of meets your initial desires but at a lower resolution.
And honestly, you're paying a premium now for this because it's a wonky in the middle option.
It is however an IPS display from LG which is nice.

LG 34UC89G - $749.99
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1335260-REG/lg_34uc89g_b_34_21_9_curved_ultrawide.html

And honestly that's about it when it comes to affordable G-Sync.
If we didn't go the route of G-Sync then your options would widely open up.

If you happened to have a 10 series GPU instead, we could've looked into some FreeSync2 options but alas, you are currently on Maxwell.

If you are really looking for something good to play with, I would recommend a standard 16:9 1440p display such as the Dell's I linked.
Then just work on upgrading your platform (i.e. the CPU, Mobo, RAM) and then eventually in the future you can get something like a 1080Ti for a great price on the used market and then you'll be set.

I hope that all of this information was helpful enough to you to help you understand what your options are and where your current hardware sits.

If I'm being honest saying it again, I don't think you're going to have that good of a time at even standard 1440p with that CPU.
The GPU's could handle that if you had low enough graphic settings in the right areas depending on the games so that you don't go over your 3.5GB VRAM limit.
But that CPU is going to hold you back for sure.

You can try to alleviate some of the bottleneck you have right now by overclocking your CPU as far as you can with whatever cooler you have on it, but only assuming you have appropriate cooling on top of it to help support doing so. A stock cooler or something similar to one isn't going to do jack all for you in this department.

troym514

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2013
With the CPU, it could be the nm, could b bottleneck in the mobo, could be actual speed. If I knew which, it could help me shop a new one. Ive seen comparison charts for CPU's and I see my CPU not performing as well but, again, I dont know why.

Also, Ive abandoned the idea of using a TV for gaming. Ive looked and a TV will never get me the performance AND picture I want. Can barely get a monitor that will (at the size I want). I'll get the monitor I want and build a system around it, I guess. Thanx for the help, all.

With the CPU, it could be the nm, could b bottleneck in the mobo, could be actual speed. If I knew which, it could help me shop a new one. Ive seen comparison charts for CPU's and I see my CPU not performing as well but, again, I dont know why.

Also, Ive abandoned the idea of using a TV for gaming. Ive looked and a TV will never get me the performance AND picture I want. Can barely get a monitor that will (at the size I want). I'll get the monitor I want and build a system around it, I guess. Thanx for the help, all.

If you want to get a monitor for gaming, a 1440 screen should be OK for you at medium settings, although keep in mind that SLI is not great for some games, and you really should upgrade to a newer CPU/Motherboard platform soon as you can afford it. 10 yr old CPU and 4 GB of DDR2 RAM is not the basis of a gaming system for any recent games.