Question Lag when hovering desktop icons

InfurnoHD

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2015
Hi guys.

My desktop icons are very laggy. This also applies to whenever I drag the selection box over a bunch. Check the video to see what I mean. I've heard that it might be due to the virtual memory being set too low, so i manually increased it, all the way from min. 16GB to max 32GB for all drives as a test, but no difference.

This happens regardless if the computer is idle or under extreme load!

Video demostrating problem

Specs: (PSU is a Corsair CV650, and yes, I have Windows 10 Education)

c8p48Mv.png

Any ideas?

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
Hi guys.

My desktop icons are very laggy. This also applies to whenever I drag the selection box over a bunch. Check the video to see what I mean. I've heard that it might be due to the virtual memory being set too low, so i manually increased it, all the way from min. 16GB to max 32GB for all drives as a test, but no difference.

This happens regardless if the computer is idle or under extreme load!

Video demostrating problem

Specs: (PSU is a Corsair CV650, and yes, I have Windows 10 Education)

c8p48Mv.png

Any ideas?
I don’t see anything wrong in the video. Are you saying that when you move the mouse over the desktop icon really quickly, it doesn’t highlight immediately? It’s the same way on my computer and is probably because the mouse is moving to fast to make the icon respond.

As for the selection box, I don’t see anything wrong with that either. One basic thing I always do when I have a problem is to run this in an Administrator Command Prompt or Powershell (right-click the Windows icon and click Window PowerShell (Admin)):
Code:
sfc /scannow

InfurnoHD

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2015
I don’t see anything wrong in the video. Are you saying that when you move the mouse over the desktop icon really quickly, it doesn’t highlight immediately? It’s the same way on my computer and is probably because the mouse is moving to fast to make the icon respond.

As for the selection box, I don’t see anything wrong with that either.
Yeah the selection box is worse in person, its just the video lacks sufficient fps to give the lag the credit that it deserves. Basically, if i selct all the icons, the framrate on my desktop drops to around a quarter of what it normally runs at if i just drag a box around without selecting anything.

Also, yes, the icons not highlighting was what i was referring to. It used to be fine but recently I’ve noticed said lag. I don’t know about any change to the PC that might have triggered this though...

besides, the dekstop is located on a PCIe gen 4 nvme ssd, with a 6 core ryzen 5 idling, pushing the video output through a 3070 to a 144hz gaming monitor. Sounds pretty overkill for a smooth desktop render if you ask me yet im getting more fps rendering scenes in blender

update: I just ran the same "experiment" on my basic APU based laptop, and desktop is running completely smoothly with no noticeable delay when hovering over icons etc.

Last edited:

InfurnoHD

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2015

As for the selection box, I don’t see anything wrong with that either. One basic thing I always do when I have a problem is to run this in an Administrator Command Prompt or Powershell (right-click the Windows icon and click Window PowerShell (Admin)):
Code:
sfc /scannow

Just completed a run of
Code:
sfc /scannow
It did not find anything

InfurnoHD

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2015
Another update: The problem goes away in safe mode, with or without networking. So there is some kind of software that messes things up... Any ideas on what might cause something like this?

A clean install would in all likelyhood fix the issue, but I'm not going to go through that to fix such a nit-picky thing...

Jul 23, 2022
I have the exact same issue. Turning your mouse polling rate down will fix it, but that doesn't seem like a good solution. I have a 5800X and 5700XT, which should be good enough to handle 1000hz polling rate and lighting up icons at the same time.

TRENDING THREADS