Lag while gaming

Jul 24, 2018
Hi there. My PC gets random 1 second lags/freezing when im gaming. It's not high spec games either, for eg. league of legends, 7days to die and so on. Also i play on low graphics. I need advice on what i can do to improve or rectify this. Maybe a setting that needs to be changed or i need to replace some equipment. Below are my PC specs

Windows 10
i5 3.1GHz
8GB RAM 1333MHz
1TB hard drive (not SSD)
700w PSU
Zotac 1060 6GB

I just replaced my old PSU which was a 460 with the 700 rated but that didnt resolve my issue

Also when i use CPUID it tells me my RAM speed is 665MHz, should be 1333, i have changed it in the BIOS as well. I was thinking getting more RAM but was concerned about the speed it was telling me.

Then i was also considering getting an SSD but does my motherboard limit me to how fast the drive and read and write.

My PC is also slow on startup and it shows disk usage at 100%, not much programs open on startup, another reason why i want an SSD

Advice would be much appreciated, thank you

Suiluj

Commendable
May 16, 2017
Do you have 1 or 2 RAM sticks? if you have one then the 665mhz is correct because its only single channel. (half the speed)

Your PC is slow on startup because of the HDD as boot drive

Now to the actual question:

You have a pretty good PC, try using higher settings in games.
Make sure you have the newest GPU drivers.
Open taskmanager, go to details and right click the game and select High priority.

Also have you overclocked anything? If you have and don't have enough voltage for the clockspeed then you might get bad stability. (if you haven't Overclocked anything then don't increase the voltage, it should have enough by default to run stock clocks)

Jul 24, 2018

Thanks for the reply. I havn't set anything to overclock, only changed i made in the BIOS were for the voltage for the RAM, i changed it from auto to 1.5. I used geforce experience to update the drivers last night but havnt tested gaming yet. I'll do that tonight. I was also thinking of putting new thermal paste on my CPU, i was watching the temp and it was going up to between 60 and 70 degrees celsius, not sure if thats normal or not

TRENDING THREADS