[SOLVED] Lag with new router using LAN?

Feb 7, 2020
I set up a new router (Tenda AC9), I connect it to the modem and to my PS4 and PC with CAT6 cables.
When I first setup the router I chose the PPPoE connection type, with the username and password that my IPS (DIGI, Hungary) gave me. Upload, download speeds are ten times better, however playing cod modern warfare on PS4 is horrible now. There is like a 2 second lag/high ping every 30 seconds. I made some research and found that the problem might be the DNS route. I can change it in 3 places: First on PS4, second using the tenda website under LAN settings, third using the tenda website under Internet settings. Where should I change the DNS to decrease the lag? Should I change it to google's 8.8.8.8 or maybe 1.1.1.1?
I had perfect connections in the same game using the old TP-Link router.
Thank you.

Solution
DNS is really only used when a session is first opened. All it does is change the www.???.com to a IP address. Once it has the IP it uses that and generally does not talk to the dns server for some period of time. Games in many cases directly send the IP and do not use DNS except to say log into the main server.

I would let a constant ping run to 8.8.8.8 in the background. I know a PC can do this not sure about a game console. I suspect you have some issue with your internet if the ping ti 8.8.8.8 shows the same lag.
I set up a new router (Tenda AC9), I connect it to the modem and to my PS4 and PC with CAT6 cables.
When I first setup the router I chose the PPPoE connection type, with the username and password that my IPS (DIGI, Hungary) gave me. Upload, download speeds are ten times better, however playing cod modern warfare on PS4 is horrible now. There is like a 2 second lag/high ping every 30 seconds. I made some research and found that the problem might be the DNS route. I can change it in 3 places: First on PS4, second using the tenda website under LAN settings, third using the tenda website under Internet settings. Where should I change the DNS to decrease the lag? Should I change it to google's 8.8.8.8 or maybe 1.1.1.1?
I had perfect connections in the same game using the old TP-Link router.
Thank you.
If you change it on the router all your devices will use it by default, DHCP will tell all your devices to use the routers DNS entry. Leave all your client devices on DHCP. Yes you can try google public on 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 or 1.1.1.1 It is unlikely that DNS is affecting your games though. Try and and get back with the results.

DNS is really only used when a session is first opened. All it does is change the www.???.com to a IP address. Once it has the IP it uses that and generally does not talk to the dns server for some period of time. Games in many cases directly send the IP and do not use DNS except to say log into the main server.

I would let a constant ping run to 8.8.8.8 in the background. I know a PC can do this not sure about a game console. I suspect you have some issue with your internet if the ping ti 8.8.8.8 shows the same lag.

Solution