Question lag with sites with images even w/1gb hardwire internet

miltkk

Reputable
Feb 15, 2019
lately i've had a big prblem with streaming, file attaching, random sites.
all the above and other random issues even though my internet maxes at 800>940mps HARDWIRED. ie,,,my wifi seems to be unaffected. it's just my hardwired desktops

so here's the original setup.....
verizon fios (ont i 21-ml)> verizon router((gl -100 i think) > dlink router(ac2600 mu-mimo) >two HARDWIRED w7pro lenovo desktops. i like my dlink so i had verizob supp turn OFF it's wireless so i could use the dlink.
i was getting great speeds on both hardwired desktops(850 >950 bps on ookla) and wifi

THEN i "upgraded" to the latest verizon router(cr1000a) because they told me i would get a better monthly price. they set me up thusly,,,,,,,,

verizon fios > verizon cr1000a > two HARDWIRED w7pro lenovo desktops. and this is when i started having problems. the connect has been choppy and random. youtube always spins, same with some sites. example when i go amazon>orders it take 15 seconds for the orders page to pull up. email attachments same thing. just random slow connections in general

because of this i have since disconnected the new verizon cr1000a and replaced it with the old d link ac2600. so now i am currently connected this way verizob fios > d link ac2600 > HARDWIRED two lenovo w7pro desktops

however the issue has remained. it's almost as if the verizon guy set something to muck up my desktops. there also seems to be a slight difference in browser speeds. brave is the fastest, edge and chrome are second, and opera is the slowest. opera is very noticeable.

BUT REGARDLESS i am not getting top performance speeds the way i used to before the verizon guy upgraded me - i should have left well enough alone!

even though ookla and fast.com show my speeds at 850-950mps i'm having those issues stated. mainly it seems to be with images. for instance when i copied this post it pulled up right away, but like i said, there's a lag with sites with images that i never ever had with my old setup

also i have my network friend help and he suggested the following

Type "ipconfig /flushdns" and press Enter.
Type "ipconfig /registerdns" and press Enter.
Type "ipconfig /release" and press Enter.
Type "ipconfig /renew" and press Enter.
Type "netsh winsock reset" and press Enter.
Restart the computer.

which help a tad but not much. i still have the same issues.

any help?
thx

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't know verizon had a new box their old box has always been reported as being very good.

So the first thing I even found was this thread on the official verizon forums talking about a very similar issue.

https://forums.verizon.com/t5/fios-internet/cr1000a-and-g3100-major-issues/td-p/919934

No actual resolution but seems if you can get the old router back it is better.

What I would have suggested you have already done. Most time if you use the verizon router you are connected via coax cable using their moca stuff. When you have your own router you connect via ethernet port.
This should eliminate any router related issues. Did they change the ONT also when they did this. I would think it would be required since it now appears they are supporting faster than 1gbit connections. That would mean the ONT would have to have a different ethernet port.

Maybe there is some issue with the ONT....or more likely they are using some different network encoding to get that fast speed. Not sure verizon does not use GPON like most other ISP from what I know but I have not look at details in many years.

Now the other thing that is suggested in that thread that I also would suspect when you see issues on some but not all applications is to disable IPv6. I would start with disabling it in the nic settings on the computer but you should be able to find a way to turn if off in your router also if that is the problem.

This though may not work, I suspect verizon has some issue. Some times the give you a better price to "upgrade" when they want to stop supporting a older system and get everyone on the same network equipment. If they have changed the way they send the data on the fiber they may not want to support 2 data encoding methods long term......but the new one you would hope would work.

miltkk

Reputable
Feb 15, 2019
i will call to see if i can get the old router back and setup everything as before.

and no, they did not change the fios box.

i am not conversant in those fixes you mentioned however.

It is not likely the router since you have already tried a different one,the dlink, and get the same result.

You could also plug your pc directly into the ONT but I suspect it will have the same issue.

This likely means they changed something with the way the signal is sent to your house.

IPv6 may or may not help but it is something you can do while you wait for verizon. Just look at the network properties screen for the nic. You can just uncheck the IPv6 box

miltkk

Reputable
Feb 15, 2019
here's some additional info i just noticed.

i'm having a tougher time loading attachments in gmail(sometimes timing out or network error) and downloading the attachments,,,than in yahoo mail. yahoo mail is in fact FINE.

when i was having trouble with downloading some attachments i forwarded to yahoo and yahoo had no problem. so then i started testing different variables between yahoo and gmail...YAHOO IS FINE. GMAIL IS A PROB

kanewolf

Titan
here's some additional info i just noticed.

i'm having a tougher time loading attachments in gmail(sometimes timing out or network error) and downloading the attachments,,,than in yahoo mail. yahoo mail is in fact FINE.

when i was having trouble with downloading some attachments i forwarded to yahoo and yahoo had no problem. so then i started testing different variables between yahoo and gmail...YAHOO IS FINE. GMAIL IS A PROB
Start by disabling IPv6 on your PC as was recommended. It is one of the options in the network properties of your adapter.

miltkk

Reputable
Feb 15, 2019
it took me a while to turn off ipv6. my absolute fault but i was thinking "if verizon supp cant figure it out, well then wtf" so i finally turned it off,,,,,
,,,,and it worked!!!! everything is right, now.

what happened when i turned off ipv6.??? what was it doing when it was one that it caused all the probs?

thx, guyz

It is a "magic" fix for so many people lately.

It is hard to say why this fixes things. There are in some way 2 different "Internets" one that has ISP and their routers interconnected using IPv6 addresses and another using IPv4. Most times these are the same physical routers but in other cases the data uses other router and other paths between the ISP.
Since the data takes different paths it can have different performance.

Not sure why so many people have had issues lately. Maybe some major ISP made some change in their network. The other could be that IPv6 internet connectivity has always been poor and in recent years more and more ISP are allowing end customers to use IPv6 when before they only allowed IPv4.

IPv6 has been declared the future of the internet for the last 20yrs but it does not seem there really is a need for it any longer. It was designed when they were concerned about running out of IPv4 addresses but they have been using tricks to allow people to share IP addresses and most companies no longer run their own data center and have move it to common shared data centers. Although there is still a shortage of IPv4 addresses most people do not need them. Most people that do not come to a forum like this do not even know or care what any kind of IP addresses is as long as their app works for them.

miltkk

Reputable
Feb 15, 2019
i still don't get the machinations of all this. i'm a visual guy so i need something like a cartoon video to explain what you just saved me from....but thanks. this sounds like there was a conflict of protocols???

How the internet actually works is a very complex topic.

If you want it over simplified you could say it was the same as if you use say google maps to get driving direction compared to some other program maybe like microsoft bing. One system may give you a better path than the other. If a road is closed one system may pick a better detour

The paths for IPv4 and ipv6 and not that simplistic. There is not a single isp or device in control it is all dynamically negotiated between the various ISP.

miltkk

Reputable
Feb 15, 2019
How the internet actually works is a very complex topic.

If you want it over simplified you could say it was the same as if you use say google maps to get driving direction compared to some other program maybe like microsoft bing. One system may give you a better path than the other. If a road is closed one system may pick a better detour

The paths for IPv4 and ipv6 and not that simplistic. There is not a single isp or device in control it is all dynamically negotiated between the various ISP.

so when verizon came in to upgrade the router they did something that roadblocked whatever good thing was already in place. to use your analogy, there was some new roadwork started that google or bing couldn't account for