Question Lagging 4K Display - HDMI connected to Laptop

Aug 8, 2020
Hello,

I recently purchased my 1st 4K Monitor (see below):

Asus VP28UQG 28" Monitor 4K/UHD 3840x2160 1ms DP HDMI

However, when I connect it with the provided HDMI cable into my laptop there tends to be lagging issues with the display. Example, watching 4K videos or even just moving my mouse results in lagging. When I disconnect my laptop, which converts the laptop back to its maximum ouput of 1080P, there are no lagging issues with the laptop. Please see below the laptop that I have and its specs (please note I did replace the HDD with a SDD)

Laptop Info
Graphics Output

Is this a performance issue with my laptop causing this? I might look into purchasing a mini PC for work that will easily connect to my 4K monitor but I don't want any lagging problems. Suggestions? Thanks for your help

Aug 8, 2020
Yes it could be the video chip not working well enough for the display. If you set the display to a lower resolution does it work OK?
I just figured out the lagging is likely from connecting my laptop to the monitor via an HDMI cable....the refresh rate drops to 30 hz and that is the max it will allow me to set with the monitor connected.

However, both the monitor and HD Graphics state that the 4K resolution can go up to 60 hz. I tried a few things and cannot get it to max over 30 hz.

Edit: With the monitor connected, when I reduce the resolution back to 1080P, it will allow me to go up to 60 hz. Any idea how I can get 60 hz with the 4k resolution?

Last edited:

Latest posts