[SOLVED] Lagging after CPU upgrade

Shaaxy

Prominent
Aug 25, 2019
Hey Tomshardware forum,

I just upgraded my CPU, Motherboard and RAM.

I had an I7-4700s, and upgraded to a i7-10700k. With that I have a GTX 1660 Super GPU.

My problem is, that everytime I try to livestream on twitch, or watch a video while gaming, my stream or the video i'm watching is lagging like crazy. My game is working fine with around 400FPS in CSGO eg.

I did not reinstall OS, after upgrading the components cause I was told it wouldn't affect anything.

Another problem that occured after upgrading, is an insane amount of double typing when I press my tabs on the keyboard. None of the listed above problems occured the moment before I upgraded my PC parts.

What could be the problem?
And how can I fix them.

Thank you so much for reading and the help in advance.

- Alex/Shaaxy

Solution
Here are the main ones...and here is an article.
  • USB driver
  • Chipset
  • Audio driver (usually Realtek)
  • SATA driver
  • Ethernet Drivers (network driver)

Also....keep in mind that Windows will install the default Windows drivers....so if you miss one....it's not the end of the world...it's just that when you use the drivers FOR YOUR SPECIFIC MOTHERBOARD....they generally work better than the Windows drivers because they are optimized for your motherboard.

Shaaxy

Prominent
Aug 25, 2019
How do I reinstall my OS the easiest way, without losing any data?

using a z490-p

"I did not reinstall OS, after upgrading the components cause I was told it wouldn't affect anything. "
You were told wrong.
Reinstall the OS.
Also....are you running the proper BIOS?
What motherboard?

Last edited:
What is your ram?
You need to have enough to hold all of your active tasks and streams.
Is your gpu strong enough to support both gaming and streaming?
Did this work ok before?

Data is not usually a problem on a clean install if you have backup.
Re-installing apps may become a pain.

Did you install the motherboard chipset and intel drivers from the supplied cd or from the motherboard web site?
If not, that may resolve your issue.
Also, see if there is a more current motherboard bios that fixes your symptoms.
I would not flash the bios just on speculation.

Reactions: Shaaxy

Shaaxy

Prominent
Aug 25, 2019
Sorry for all the questions, very new to all this.

Which of the drivers do I install from the website?
BIOS, Lan, Chipset etc.? All of them, or is there a specefic one I just need to install for it.

It usually does.
However....you can get the latest driver (if there was an upgrade) from the motherboard website.

• USB driver
  • Chipset
  • SATA driver

Also....keep in mind that Windows will install the default Windows drivers....so if you miss one....it's not the end of the world...it's just that when you use the drivers FOR YOUR SPECIFIC MOTHERBOARD....they generally work better than the Windows drivers because they are optimized for your motherboard.

Solution

Shaaxy

Prominent
Aug 25, 2019
Thank you so much, The double typing seems to be gone after downloading the drivers, I will keep testing to see if the stream and youtube watching lag happens. Thank you so much for the help!

• USB driver
  • Chipset
  • SATA driver

Thank you so much, The double typing seems to be gone after downloading the drivers, I will keep testing to see if the stream and youtube watching lag happens. Thank you so much for the help!
You're welcome.
...and once you have it running well....what I do is....I clone the whole drive to an image file on another drive about once a month. This way if anything happens (corrupt drive....virus....etc)....you can always go back.