Question Lagging, freezing then crashing. At end of my rope with this thing.

greigm78

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
So, relayively new build/upgrade of parts. Had a GTX1070 originally and "upgraded" to RX5700XT (Sapphire Pulse). Had constant crashing playing Wildlands and Borderlands 3 at 1440p 144Hz.
Recently changed the mobo, mainly due to upgrades/changes to my son's machine and moved the Ryzen 2700 (non X version). But even after a clean windows install, the game (especially Wildlands) goes laggy, the sound goes all fuzzy digitized bleepy and the game freezes before the system just locks up and either crashes back to desktop or needs the reset switch hit. Its really bugging me now as trying to complete long missions is pointless. Never had any such issues with the 1070.

Originally, I had the CPU OC'd at 4.1GHz @ 1.3v with memory on XMP2 but have since put CPU back to stock 3.2GHz and letting it boost normally. No difference tl crashes. It can be 5 minutes or 50 minutes you just never know.

Adrenalin driver is up to date, not a massive fan TBH it seems less user friendly to me now. Not sure if yhere are early issues with Adrenalin 2020.

System spec:
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700
Cooler: Antec Mercury 120 RGB AIO
MB: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wifi
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 3200 (XMP 2 Profile)
GPU: Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX5700XT 8GB
SSD: WD SN500 NVMe and Sabrent Rocket NVMe
HDD: Toshiba 2TB 7200rpm SATA
Case: Thermaltake Level 20 MT RGB ATX
PSU: Corsair TX-M650
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Case has 6 120mm fans and has good airflow. CPU temp never rises above 68°C under gaming load and GPU never above 70°C according to Afterburner, Dragon Centre and HWMonitor.

Advice on possible causes appreciated.

Lutfij

Titan
Check and see which version of BIOS your motherboard is on. If you have updates pending, gradually work your way up. Also, which version of Windows 10 are you on? By clean install, did you recreate the bootable installer using Windows Media Creation Tools?

How old is the PSU, by the way?

greigm78

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
Check and see which version of BIOS your motherboard is on. If you have updates pending, gradually work your way up. Also, which version of Windows 10 are you on? By clean install, did you recreate the bootable installer using Windows Media Creation Tools?

How old is the PSU, by the way?

I solved the bleepy digitised audio problem by uninstalling the MSI packaged Realtek driver and just using the windows "standard" one.

MB BIOS is MSI's most up to date version. Windows was a media creation tool installation but I used a drive that had been formatted fully before hand, so didn't over write a previous version.

PSU is the only culprit left but its only 2months old.

greigm78

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
So after putting another PSU in and running Wildlands at 1440p 144Hz at Very High settings, 1 full hour and no crash, no jitter and no weirdness. I contacted the PSU supplier and they have RMAd it and offered a RM850 as a replacement, which I have accepted as it can't be worse, surely?

Another bizarre issue started last night though, I run two Samsung 1440p 27" monitors and after boot up, monitor 1 has resolution set to 1650 x 1050 and only sometimes recognises that it has a 2660 x 1440 capability. Most times it says 1650 x 1050 is it's "recommended" max resolution. I swapped the DP cables round and still monitor 1 affected, doesn't matter the actual monitor connected, just whichever is on monitor 1 feed.

Annoying as hell.

greigm78

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
So, new PSU installed, and touch wood, few hours of seamless gaming enjoyed.

Seems that a 2 month old PSU can indeed be faulty.

Also replaced the stock Thermaltake front fans in the case as they weren't MB controlled so always stayed the same speed regardless of temp. Much better thermals now.