Lagging On Purpose

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
975
0
18,980
Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

Hi all,

Do any of you guys/gals know a way to set a predefined amount of lag to a
client connecting into a server ?

I run a humble 4-player Counterstrike : Source server at home. This
Counterstrike : Source server runs on my server PC, which has Fedora Core 3
installed, and I connect into it on my LAN from my only other computer,
running XP Pro.

As I'm on the same LAN that the server is running on, I get really good
latency readings (12-14ms), but this seems unfair to players connecting in
from the Internet.

On a couple of other FPS games I have, notably UT2003 and 4, I can set a
command in the shortcut of the games in question, which artificially lags me
to somewhere in the average ping/latency time for Internet players.

The command is : -pktlag=40

This would typically set me up with a ping/latency reading of 80-90ms, which
is much fairer than the 12-14ms I'm currently getting now.

I have tried adding this command to the shortcut of my Counterstrike :
Source game, but it doesn't appear to have any effect. But I get no errors
either.

I think it's worth mentioning that although I join with a super low
ping/latency reading, I've yet to hear anyone complain. This is a refreshing
change from my UT2003/4 days when ping/latency issues were a constant source
of excuses for getting fragged. :)

Thanks for your time and for any information anyone might have.

Regards,

Pete.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

"Pete" <pete@supermail.dyndns.org> wrote in message
news:ef825116ds1vjjb5lj2qp73tqse18refhm@4ax.com...
> Hi all,

Hmm possibly fakelag but dont think that works in cs:s....
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

"Lief" <ask.me.for@it.com> wrote in message
news:u7a4e.4293$p71.669@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net...
>
> "Pete" <pete@supermail.dyndns.org> wrote in message
> news:ef825116ds1vjjb5lj2qp73tqse18refhm@4ax.com...
> > Hi all,
>
> Hmm possibly fakelag but dont think that works in cs:s....
>
>

fakelag nn was indeed the correct command. no similar command appears in the
source command list, though.

dr ratt
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

"dr ratt" <spamsum1else@zen.co.uk> wrote in message
news:42513629$0$28407$da0feed9@news.zen.co.uk...
>
> "Lief" <ask.me.for@it.com> wrote in message
> news:u7a4e.4293$p71.669@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net...
>>
>> "Pete" <pete@supermail.dyndns.org> wrote in message
>> news:ef825116ds1vjjb5lj2qp73tqse18refhm@4ax.com...
>> > Hi all,
>>
>> Hmm possibly fakelag but dont think that works in cs:s....
>>
>>
>
> fakelag nn was indeed the correct command. no similar command appears in the
> source command list, though.

wouldn't setting your rate ridiculously low cause enough lag to even things out?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

"DustJunky" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:9OqdnSSaZuAzFszfRVnygg@eclipse.net.uk...
>
> "dr ratt" <spamsum1else@zen.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:42513629$0$28407$da0feed9@news.zen.co.uk...
> >
> > "Lief" <ask.me.for@it.com> wrote in message
> > news:u7a4e.4293$p71.669@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net...
> >>
> >> "Pete" <pete@supermail.dyndns.org> wrote in message
> >> news:ef825116ds1vjjb5lj2qp73tqse18refhm@4ax.com...
> >> > Hi all,
> >>
> >> Hmm possibly fakelag but dont think that works in cs:s....
> >>
> >>
> >
> > fakelag nn was indeed the correct command. no similar command appears in
the
> > source command list, though.
>
> wouldn't setting your rate ridiculously low cause enough lag to even
things out?
>
>

with fakelag you [client pc] got all the info, just a little delayed.
dropping update rates low enough to simulate lag would mean missing some
info leading to the client making wrong guesses as to positions etc. may
still be worth a try, though.
perhaps manually turning down your lan card to its minimum speed will help,
a mate used to do this on cs1.5 for similar reasons before finding out about
fakelag. it added around 10ms to his ping. also, if you have an old 10Mbit
hub, use that - my ping dropped around 5-10ms when i went from a dlink10 to
belkin100.

dr ratt
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

Yeah, DustJunky is correct.

Try typing: "rate <number>" in console. (Without the "", of course.)
The normal rate is around 9000. You can tinker around with this number.
Lower rate = higher ping.

d!v ~ MilFu

"Pete" <pete@supermail.dyndns.org> wrote in message
news:ef825116ds1vjjb5lj2qp73tqse18refhm@4ax.com...
> Hi all,
>
> Do any of you guys/gals know a way to set a predefined amount of lag to a
> client connecting into a server ?
>
> I run a humble 4-player Counterstrike : Source server at home. This
> Counterstrike : Source server runs on my server PC, which has Fedora Core
> 3
> installed, and I connect into it on my LAN from my only other computer,
> running XP Pro.
>
> As I'm on the same LAN that the server is running on, I get really good
> latency readings (12-14ms), but this seems unfair to players connecting in
> from the Internet.
>
> On a couple of other FPS games I have, notably UT2003 and 4, I can set a
> command in the shortcut of the games in question, which artificially lags
> me
> to somewhere in the average ping/latency time for Internet players.
>
> The command is : -pktlag=40
>
> This would typically set me up with a ping/latency reading of 80-90ms,
> which
> is much fairer than the 12-14ms I'm currently getting now.
>
> I have tried adding this command to the shortcut of my Counterstrike :
> Source game, but it doesn't appear to have any effect. But I get no errors
> either.
>
> I think it's worth mentioning that although I join with a super low
> ping/latency reading, I've yet to hear anyone complain. This is a
> refreshing
> change from my UT2003/4 days when ping/latency issues were a constant
> source
> of excuses for getting fragged. :)
>
> Thanks for your time and for any information anyone might have.
>
> Regards,
>
> Pete.
>
>
>
>
>
>
 

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
975
0
18,980
Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

On 2005-04-04, dr ratt <spamsum1else@zen.co.uk> typed:
>
> with fakelag you [client pc] got all the info, just a little delayed.
> dropping update rates low enough to simulate lag would mean missing some
> info leading to the client making wrong guesses as to positions etc. may
> still be worth a try, though.
> perhaps manually turning down your lan card to its minimum speed will help,
> a mate used to do this on cs1.5 for similar reasons before finding out about
> fakelag. it added around 10ms to his ping. also, if you have an old 10Mbit
> hub, use that - my ping dropped around 5-10ms when i went from a dlink10 to
> belkin100.
>
> dr ratt

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll see what I can do with my NIC. As I
mentioned before though, I've had no complaints so far regarding my
ping/latency reading. This could just be down to the fact that no one has
noticed. The people I've played against so far do not need to use
ping/latency as an excuse for losing, if only because it's not them that are
losing. :)

Thanks again.

--
Fortune says :

Make a wish, it might come true.
 

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
975
0
18,980
Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

On 2005-04-05, Eddie Zhang <eddiezhang@verizon.net> typed:
> Yeah, DustJunky is correct.
>
> Try typing: "rate <number>" in console. (Without the "", of course.)
> The normal rate is around 9000. You can tinker around with this number.
> Lower rate = higher ping.
>
> d!v ~ MilFu

Hmm. Looks like it's worth a try, thanks, and to DustJunky of course.

Pete.

--
Fortune says :

If you don't say anything, you won't be called on to repeat it.
-- Calvin Coolidge