[SOLVED] lagging

Aug 28, 2019
I just got a new power supply a corsair vs 550 and im noticing a lot of pc lag whilst doing nothing such as the mouse jumping around would the problem be my power supply or something else. also i just upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10, but before upgrading i i checked it out and had the same problem

Solution
Windows 10 can and will use upto @ 2.5Gb of memory easily, just running anything like websurfing or office type projects. And if windows doesn't have the ram it needs, it makes it on the ssd/hdd with pagefile.sys. This can and will cause extreme lagging and stuttering as normal ram is multiple times faster than an hdd, so even doing something as simple as moving a mouse can run into issues as the pc pauses to let the hdd deliver its load of fake use memory code. 64bit (x64) OS just makes it worse as it's a lot more complex overall than 32bit (x86) OS like several versions of Windows7.

The following table specifies the limits on physical memory for Windows 10.

VersionLimit on X86Limit on X64
Aug 28, 2019
What are the specs for this system (make/model of all installed components)? After installing Win 10, did you update your motherboard chipset (often includes USB drivers), video, and network drivers, at a minimum?
specs are
GPU aorus rx570
CPU icore duo q8200
RAM 4gb 2 usable
PSU corsair VS550
SSD toshiba 480gb
I did not update anything so far apart from my GPU drivers as I had this problem on windows 7 after installing my new PSU

Aug 28, 2019
What is the make/model of your motherboard? With only 2GB of usable memory, the lag is the likely issue. You have far too little memory for the system to work properly. Are you using 32-bit or 64-bit Windows?
I am using 64bit but even before upgrading to windows 10 I had this problem on windows 7 after switching my psu
I had switched from a 650 to a 550 wat psu

Aug 28, 2019
A PSU swap should have no impact regarding lag. Likely a coincidental issue.

Having only 4GB of memory installed and 2GB usable is a problem.
A PSU swap should have no impact regarding lag. Likely a coincidental issue.

Having only 4GB of memory installed and 2GB usable is a problem.
what about just desktop lag whitch I never had before until I swapped psu
such as mouse lagging around

COLGeek

Cybernaut
what about just desktop lag whitch I never had before until I swapped psu
such as mouse lagging around
The issue is still inadequate memory. Your system is struggling to operate with so little memory. We need to sort that out in order to have any chance of normal operations (and hopefully the lag ceasing or minimizing).

What is the make/model of the motherboard and the memory you have installed?

Aug 28, 2019
The issue is still inadequate memory. Your system is struggling to operate with so little memory. We need to sort that out in order to have any chance of normal operations (and hopefully the lag ceasing or minimizing).

What is the make/model of the motherboard and the memory you have installed?
my motherboard is a gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L very old school but getting a upgrade soon. and as for my ram i have no idea of the make but i know it is the max capacity of the board

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Does your memory match? I assume you have 2x2GB modules installed.

Honestly, that old beast with DDR2 memory and ancient CPU, matched with a comparatively MUCH overpowered GPU is just not suitable to run a modern OS....especially with only 2GB working.

Match sure your memory if fully seated and locked into the slots. One could have become dislodged slightly while you replaced the PSU.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Windows 10 can and will use upto @ 2.5Gb of memory easily, just running anything like websurfing or office type projects. And if windows doesn't have the ram it needs, it makes it on the ssd/hdd with pagefile.sys. This can and will cause extreme lagging and stuttering as normal ram is multiple times faster than an hdd, so even doing something as simple as moving a mouse can run into issues as the pc pauses to let the hdd deliver its load of fake use memory code. 64bit (x64) OS just makes it worse as it's a lot more complex overall than 32bit (x86) OS like several versions of Windows7.

The following table specifies the limits on physical memory for Windows 10.

VersionLimit on X86Limit on X64
Windows 10 Enterprise4 GB6 TB
Windows 10 Education4 GB2 TB
Windows 10 Pro for Workstations4 GB6 TB
Windows 10 Pro4 GB2 TB
Windows 10 Home4 GB128 GB

The only possible way I can imagine a psu being involved with lag, isn't due to the new psu (which is actually decent) but to the old psu somehow causing irreparable damage to the motherboard/cpu and the inclusion of the new psu highlighting that damage. Not so much a cause, but the after affects

Last edited:
Solution