[SOLVED] Laggy 1080p video playback in my 2017 MBP 13 TB, what is the problem? CPU usage over 150%

Aug 23, 2019
It’s pretty much what the title says. My 13 inch 2017 MBP with Touch Bar seems to struggle when I play 1080p mkv videos. It even shows occasionally stutters at 720p.

Before anyone asks me to try a different player or format I don’t want to sound rude but the darn files play well in my three year old android phone and I’ve been downloading from the same place for a while and everything has been peachy so far.

I’ve checked cpu usage and it’s at 140% and above when I play these videos. Spotlight also takes a while to show up when I use the command space combination. I have around 100 gb free space. Literally deleted stuff I don’t use. Cleaned cache. Any suggestions are welcomed.

Please help me out. It’s causing me a lot of problems.

Solution
If the software you use can't use hardware decoding for the codec in the video. Then it is utilizing the CPU for software decoding. Which will result in high CPU load. Which can be causing the issue. While the software in the Android may utilize hardware decoding. Which is vastly more efficient.

Resolution doesn't matter so much as bitrate. The higher the bitrate. There heavier the load.

MKV is just a container. The underlying codecs are what is relevant for decoding.

100GB free of 13TB is way too little. At least 10% of storage should be free.
If the software you use can't use hardware decoding for the codec in the video. Then it is utilizing the CPU for software decoding. Which will result in high CPU load. Which can be causing the issue. While the software in the Android may utilize hardware decoding. Which is vastly more efficient.

Resolution doesn't matter so much as bitrate. The higher the bitrate. There heavier the load.

MKV is just a container. The underlying codecs are what is relevant for decoding.

100GB free of 13TB is way too little. At least 10% of storage should be free.

Solution