Question LAGGY AT HIGH FPS

Aug 11, 2020
Guys, this is the first time I've ever posted which i can't get this concern off my shoulders.

As you guys can see, I have been experiencing high fps lag where it sometimes micro lags at 141fps (RTSS 3 fps buffer with 144hz monitor). Sometimes silky smooth at same fps as intended. Micro lag at 144fps hence I used 3 fps buffer. When there is a small fps drop, let's say to 120fps, it gets choppier and choppier as the fps dropped further, which is not what it should be. It should still be silky smooth even at 120fps.

HOWEVER, when my old motherboard asrock b450m pro4 (still new 6 months old) was fried, I replaced mobo with gigabyte b450m ds3h and the gaming experience drastically became much better. It was SO silky smooth even at 120fps, even at 90fps. HOWEVER, over time into this same new mobo (after a week), my gaming experience dropped once again and it replicated the same old laggy issue. How did this happen and how should i troubleshoot this so that i can have fun like i used to have? Here is my pc spec as below and I play Apex Legends and use g sync compatible since my monitor is freesync. Could this lag issue due to my budget pc nature?

CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 3600

GPU
ZOTAC NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 SUPER

Mobo
3rd - Gigabyte B450M DS3H (current)
2nd - ASRock B450M Pro4 (fried)
1st - ASRock A320M (traded up)

RAM
16 GB

PSU
500W FSP/EVGA 80+ Certified

Monitor
PRISM+ X240 24" 144HZ

Lutfij

Titan
What is the model of the PSU? You mentioned the brand of the unit as well as it's wattage.

How did the board get fried?

Latest BIOS for your motherboard? What OS version are you on? Did you reinstall the OS after swapping boards? Tried uninstalling and reinstalling your GPU drivers? Use DDU to uninstall the drivers.

Aug 11, 2020
What is the model of the PSU? You mentioned the brand of the unit as well as it's wattage.

How did the board get fried?

Latest BIOS for your motherboard? What OS version are you on? Did you reinstall the OS after swapping boards? Tried uninstalling and reinstalling your GPU drivers? Use DDU to uninstall the drivers.

Hey thanks for your response. Not sure about the psu model since it was picked by some pc shop. Guess this is what i get for budget pc but this pc is pretty sick. Could this psu be the main issue of my choppy high fps? Should i consider better psu and this will resolve my issue?

Not sure of the cause of fried mobo but i believe i failed to plug in psu properly for quite some time when i got this new pc. This caused some random restarts or unexpected instant shutdown. Didn't aware that i should plug in firmly and deeper. So, it might damage my old mobo. lesson learnt.

Actually, i initially have fixed the lag issue which by disabling pagefile resolved it. I know the consequences of it but i decided to keep it disabled. However, after a few days, i started to notice a small fps drop e.g. from 144 to 138, i get the same lag. I was trying to resolve it AND i found a fix for it which is freeing nvme ssd space that is the only storage i have (mass uninstalled unnecessary games and softwares) and the smoothness came back once again.

So the MAIN concern is how should maintain it? I am continuing to monitoring it and well, i have noticed occasional minor lag. I want to maintain the smoothness so what do you suggest to better maintain it? the psu? 8x2 rams are 2666 so could that explain the lag? need 3600 ram?

I'm honestly tempted to upgrade gpu..