G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Today I brought home a nice, new flat-screen LCD monitor for my computer. I'm
off to college soon and need to conserve space (eliminating the TV/Furnace
that I had before seemed like a logical place to start).

Anyway, now I'm having challenges because Windows is making the display
lag... and yes, I know it's Windows because the degree to which a window will
lag depends upon its size or complexity.

I don't beleive my video card to be the culprit either, since I have a
relatively powerful ATI Radeon 9200 128MB display driver.

Scrolling action just is not smooth. If I'm looking at a web-page filled
with tons of images and text, if I'm scrolling I can perhaps hope for, 3
frames per second at best. The window in which I'm typing right now, is
probably doing more like ... twenty or thirty maybe?

Less complicated scrolls (i.e. the list of newsgroups here) are far more
smoothly undertaken tasks.

So my question to you is, why is this happening, and what can I do to fix it?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 20:39:18 -0700, KDMatt wrote:

> Today I brought home a nice, new flat-screen LCD monitor for my computer. I'm
> off to college soon and need to conserve space (eliminating the TV/Furnace
> that I had before seemed like a logical place to start).
>
> Anyway, now I'm having challenges because Windows is making the display
> lag... and yes, I know it's Windows because the degree to which a window will
> lag depends upon its size or complexity.
>
> I don't beleive my video card to be the culprit either, since I have a
> relatively powerful ATI Radeon 9200 128MB display driver.
>
> Scrolling action just is not smooth. If I'm looking at a web-page filled
> with tons of images and text, if I'm scrolling I can perhaps hope for, 3
> frames per second at best. The window in which I'm typing right now, is
> probably doing more like ... twenty or thirty maybe?
>
> Less complicated scrolls (i.e. the list of newsgroups here) are far more
> smoothly undertaken tasks.
>
> So my question to you is, why is this happening, and what can I do to fix it?

Check that the monitor is correctly recognized in Device Manager or Display
Properties.

Check the manual for the monitor and use the preferred settings. Example:
my 17" TFT flat panel has an optimal setting of 1280x1024. Using that
setting provides the best performance. Using a different setting? Not so
speedy and quality of display suffers.

Flicker is not a concern as it is with CRT monitors. Both of my flat panels
(multi monitor setup) happily use 60 refresh rate. 70 is available as an
optional setting but see no difference in display results. I had a nice CRT
monitor before (Sony Trinitron) but using a 60 refresh rate on it would
have taken a toll in eyestrain within a matter of minutes.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
 

Sparda

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005
463
0
18,780
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

"" wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 20:39:18 -0700, KDMatt wrote:
>
> > Today I brought home a nice, new flat-screen LCD monitor for
> my computer. I'm
> > off to college soon and need to conserve space (eliminating
> the TV/Furnace
> > that I had before seemed like a logical place to start).
> >
> > Anyway, now I'm having challenges because Windows is making
> the display
> > lag... and yes, I know it's Windows because the degree to
> which a window will
> > lag depends upon its size or complexity.
> >
> > I don't beleive my video card to be the culprit either,
> since I have a
> > relatively powerful ATI Radeon 9200 128MB display driver.
> >
> > Scrolling action just is not smooth. If I'm looking at a
> web-page filled
> > with tons of images and text, if I'm scrolling I can perhaps
> hope for, 3
> > frames per second at best. The window in which I'm typing
> right now, is
> > probably doing more like ... twenty or thirty maybe?
> >
> > Less complicated scrolls (i.e. the list of newsgroups here)
> are far more
> > smoothly undertaken tasks.
> >
> > So my question to you is, why is this happening, and what
> can I do to fix it?
>
> Check that the monitor is correctly recognized in Device
> Manager or Display
> Properties.
>
> Check the manual for the monitor and use the preferred
> settings. Example:
> my 17" TFT flat panel has an optimal setting of 1280x1024.
> Using that
> setting provides the best performance. Using a different
> setting? Not so
> speedy and quality of display suffers.
>
> Flicker is not a concern as it is with CRT monitors. Both of
> my flat panels
> (multi monitor setup) happily use 60 refresh rate. 70 is
> available as an
> optional setting but see no difference in display results. I
> had a nice CRT
> monitor before (Sony Trinitron) but using a 60 refresh rate on
> it would
> have taken a toll in eyestrain within a matter of minutes.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

You say "I don’t beleive my video card to be the culprit either,
since I have a relatively powerful ATI Radeon 9200 128MB display
driver." but you should try reinsalling the drivers any way.

--
Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's request
Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Perform-Maintain-Laggy-Display-Windows-ftopict416444.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1390992