Jun 27, 2019
Hello ppl. I just bought a lan adapter and a wired ethernet cable to help improve my experience while gaming. I basically just want to enjoy myself while playing games online with others. But when ever i play and someone else in the house is using the internet i begin to lag and it just kills my experience and makes me super miserable. I bought a lan adapter for my game console so i could get rid of this problem but it seem to had did nothing. (I feel like there's tiny improvement but that doesn't mean the problem is gone) So i'm wondering. What the hell is going on with everything? I'm no internet network or techy person but when i talked to others about this problem they just say "Buy a lan" so i did but nothing changed. I'm assuming i should either A. buy a better Lan adapter or, B. buy another wifi router, and have this router only for whenever i'm gaming. Sort of like Home Router for anyone else and Private Router for me personally. But idk if this options are necessary or is it just that i'm doing something wrong. I'd really like some help from smart ppl. Or anyone of this knowledge.

Summarized: Why are other ppl still causing me to lag when i'm using a wired ethernet connection?

Jun 27, 2019
Mention the make and model of your networking adapter. Also mention how you're connected to the www using the LAN adapter...? We would benefit by knowing your current system's specs as well as the make and model of your router.
It is a Netgear10 Wifi Router.

I'm a bit confused about the www part.. sorry about that.
what does the www mean?

Edit:
Ok nevermind www = World wide web.

I sort of just plug in an ethernet cable into my Lan adapter and then into my game console. Then my ethernet cable is connected to my router. The other end of my Ethernet cable is connected to my router is what i meant.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2019
What is your Lan adapter? why are you just connecting the ethernet cable between your router and game console? What service do you pay for, BANDWIDTH up and down, what type of service?
I am using Ugreen Ethernet adapter.

Am i connecting it wrong? I connect it by. Game Console > Lan Adapter > Ethernet Cable > Internet Modem(Not the Wifi Router) But i connected it by the wifi router before and it still felt the same so that's why i switched it for awhile. Sadly i am using frontier. it's a bit tougher to get other affordable internet service in our location. But even though it's not the best it still did pretty ok while gaming before the lan adapter. But now with the Lan Adapter i'm getting Spike Lags. And i can't tell if others are worsening the problem or not but i don't think so. It seems to b occuring in the same pattern rather than an on and off switch. I have tested it with out any1 using the intrnet so i'm having a stronger belief that it may be the adapter. I checked my console's Download speed Mbps. And it turns up with a 4.5 / 5.2 ratio.

So i'm having strong speculations that it may be the Lan Adapter but i want to be sure. Is the lan adapter doing things right? Like transferring the data from point A, to point B, with out trafficking. Or...? am i doing something wrong?

First off if your ethernet connection is done via a WIFI extender, you haven't done anything. Anytime WIFI is in the path, it becomes your bottleneck.

4.5 mbit down is bad and you ignore UP speed which is as important in your case.

Everybody "just want to" unfortunately it maybe more compricated$$ than that.

Jun 27, 2019
What game console is it?? From your link its a usb to ethernet adapter, is this even supported by the console?
Aw man. You mean i need to get an Adapter that supports the console!? I thought an adapter was just an adapter... It's the Nintendo Switch btw. I mean it says it connects properly it just doesn't seem to make a difference.

Jun 27, 2019
First off if your ethernet connection is done via a WIFI extender, you haven't done anything. Anytime WIFI is in the path, it becomes your bottleneck.

4.5 mbit down is bad and you ignore UP speed which is as important in your case.

Everybody "just want to" unfortunately it maybe more compricated$$ than that.
Dude take it easy. I'm srry i'm an amateur with these things. The upload speed 798.1 kbps.

Ok. But how the heck do i get it off the path? On the console i have it set to wired connection. I'm getting pretty confused so i'm youtubing Lan Adapter tutorials. I thought this would be simpler.

Aw man. You mean i need to get an Adapter that supports the console!? I thought an adapter was just an adapter... It's the Nintendo Switch btw. I mean it says it connects properly it just doesn't seem to make a difference.
I'm not familiar with the Switch set up but it does say they have to be licensed adapters, I don't know if this would make a difference or not, I would think if it connects it connects. Sorry cant be more help.

I suspect you have gotten side tracked. Your problem does not appear to be related to the ethernet or the wifi.

Your internet connection is tiny. Your download speed is small but it is ok if you are careful. The upload speed of 768k is barely enough to run most online games. They will use almost all of that. If another person in your house even does something simple like surf web sites there is not enough bandwidth for both your game and the other person. You will see lag in the game. For people that use pc that can run a game and a communication program like discord at the same time that will kill the game. There just is not enough bandwidth for 2 programs to be using the internet at the same time.

This is not a technology problem the only real solution is to get a larger internet connection which I suspect is not a option.

Jun 27, 2019
I suspect you have gotten side tracked. Your problem does not appear to be related to the ethernet or the wifi.

Your internet connection is tiny. Your download speed is small but it is ok if you are careful. The upload speed of 768k is barely enough to run most online games. They will use almost all of that. If another person in your house even does something simple like surf web sites there is not enough bandwidth for both your game and the other person. You will see lag in the game. For people that use pc that can run a game and a communication program like discord at the same time that will kill the game. There just is not enough bandwidth for 2 programs to be using the internet at the same time.

This is not a technology problem the only real solution is to get a larger internet connection which I suspect is not a option.
Sorry about the late reply. So would it just be a better idea to just get 2 separate routers? one for gaming and 1 for youtubing, watching movies, surfing, and other things? I'm googling stuff like having two different networks and stuff. I think it would work right? So and so connects to network Netgear10 and then gaming person connects to Router21. or something. I think it'll work but i'm not sure. Will that be a better idea? I know we have bad internet but my main purpose is to have some sort of separation between two parties. That's it.