Lags when games is in background

Nicklas

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2013
So I didnt know where to put this, but anyhow

For example, I have War Thunder running borderless window, and want to browse the web, the game is on "behind" Chrome, and I can hear the sound.

BUT, browsing any website, I can literally feel the lag, when scrolling it takes half a second for it to react, and to do it, it lags, and now when I am typing, I feel that the letters is 0,2 seconds behind

What causes this? I have a guess its something with GPU handling and prioritizing? How do I fix this?

Solution
its probably tied into fact you playing borderless window so its still on the desktop. if you play game full screen its given its own desktop environment with a full set of resources, so if you shrink it down it doesn't slow down your mouse or keyboard, but if you play it windowless and then run something else they all share same pool, and might have same settings applied to them. I think desktop has a max amount of memory it can use.

I have seen mouse speed lag caused by reduced games before, think he played windowless as well.

16gb should be plenty, you should have space left in ram so it shouldn't be a page file related problem

Nicklas

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2013

Its not normal for me :p

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.60GHz 39 °C
Skylake 14nm Technology
RAM
16,0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 932MHz (13-15-15-28)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z170-A (LGA1151) 28 °C
Graphics
XB271HU (2560x1440@144Hz)
2048MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti (ASUStek Computer Inc) 64 °C
Storage
238GB Samsung SSD 850 PRO 256GB (SSD) 25 °C
232GB Samsung SSD 840 Series (SSD) 25 °C
698GB Seagate ST3750528AS (SATA) 24 °C
238GB INTEL SSDPEKKW256G7 (Unknown)
Optical Drives
ELBY CLONEDRIVE SCSI CdRom Device
Audio
Logitech G933 Gaming Headset

This should be able to handle 3x War Thunder and 7x Chrome :p

JellinWellen

Reputable
Sep 10, 2015

I had this issue too, I found by disabling hardware acceleration in chrome it fixed it. Also using a 6700k and 980ti.

Not sure what I'm missing out by disabling hardware acceleration though, maybe someone who knows more about that feature can chime in.

Colif

Win 11 Master
its probably tied into fact you playing borderless window so its still on the desktop. if you play game full screen its given its own desktop environment with a full set of resources, so if you shrink it down it doesn't slow down your mouse or keyboard, but if you play it windowless and then run something else they all share same pool, and might have same settings applied to them. I think desktop has a max amount of memory it can use.

I have seen mouse speed lag caused by reduced games before, think he played windowless as well.

16gb should be plenty, you should have space left in ram so it shouldn't be a page file related problem

Solution