LAN access from Internet

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

Hello People,

I am trying to enable access from outside (internet) to a computer on
our lan and need some advice:

We have an ADSL internet connection with a static IP. The modem is
connected to a computer with two network cards, one card to the modem,
other to the local ethernet. The server I wish to allow access from
internet is on this LAN.
Internally we are using IPs from the non-routable range. I believe the
way to facilitate access to this computer is to route a connection to a
specific port on the modem to the internal (192. range) IP of the PC.

Is this correct? How is that to be done ? The outside access to this
machine will be via Windows 2000's terminal services.

Many thanks in advance,
-arifi

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

http://www.homenethelp.com/connection-sharing.asp
peterk

the problem
"arifi" <sfarifi@mind2biz.com> wrote in message
> Hello People,
>
> I am trying to enable access from outside (internet) to a computer on
> our lan and need some advice:
>
> We have an ADSL internet connection with a static IP. The modem is
> connected to a computer with two network cards, one card to the modem,
> other to the local ethernet. The server I wish to allow access from
> internet is on this LAN.
> Internally we are using IPs from the non-routable range. I believe the
> way to facilitate access to this computer is to route a connection to a
> specific port on the modem to the internal (192. range) IP of the PC.
>
> Is this correct? How is that to be done ? The outside access to this
> machine will be via Windows 2000's terminal services.
>
> Many thanks in advance,
> -arifi

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

Thanks, peterk.

But we have the connection sharing portion nailed down. What we need
help on is how to allow access to a computer on the internal LAN from
another computer on the internet.

Best,
arifi

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

If behind a router, put the accessible computer in the DMZ (demilitarized
zone) of the router so WAN-side has access to this PC on LAN side if only
file-access is needed.
Make sure firewall is configured to enable access from WAN.

If behind a router, "port forward" the router towards the server if a
specific app is running on the server.
Some ISPs do not allow servers running at their customers, so ports 80 and
21 might be blocked from their end.
So if running a webserver make sure it's on another port as 80 (eg 8080), if
running an ftp-server make sure it's on another port as 21 (anything above
say 51000).
(For these kind of servers (web- or ftp) you must have an app running on the
server itself like raidenftp)

> Thanks, peterk.
>
> But we have the connection sharing portion nailed down. What we need
> help on is how to allow access to a computer on the internal LAN from
> another computer on the internet.
>
> Best,
> arifi

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

Many thanks. I thing I get the idea now. Will give it a try.
Cheers
-arifi