LAN and WiFi internet: how to make them work together

Murloc

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Hello, I have a notebook (Hp Compaq 6830s, Windows XP Pro SP3) and I have internet through LAN cable, but for some reason P2P ports are closed in this network. I don’t have access to the router so cant open them. But still there is a WiFi connection in this house. The speed is rather low but still there are all ports opened there. So I wonder is it possible to make my LAN connection and WiFi working together. I have the issue that when I use WiFi and then turn the LAN internet, wifi stop working :( I mean it’s still online but not active, and I really need those P2P ports. So I want to make the “main” LAN connection(cause it’s rather fast )for browsing or some other stuff and when I need P2P ports it will use WiFi.

If you don't have access to the router (as in can't login and administrate), then there's no way to open (and forward) the ports you need UNLESS the router has UPnP (Universal Plug N Play) enabled and your P2P application supports UPnP. You could also place your PC in the DMZ of the router, but again, this all assumes to have access (administratively).

Whose router is this? You mentioned being at home, but most ppl have a wireless router and would normally have both physical and administrative access. Are you using a neighbor's wifi or at some other open wifi location??

Murloc

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Hey, eibgrab. I know that i cant open the ports cause i dont have access the the router, you see i live in a house with it's own local network and we have the internet in it. So for a small fee we have access to the internet but without P2P ports ( have no idea why administrator closed them). Anyway the connection is rather fast and reliable. But i really need P2P ports and there is it's some kind of open free wifi and everyone can use it freely. So the main point that to make that LAN internet and that wifi work together so mainly i'll use LAN connection and use wifi for P2P ports when i need them.
Btw sorry for my English :(

So what you're saying is you have access to two independent networks. One wired, the other wireless, both w/ internet, and both have Internet access and their respective P2P ports closed.

Appears to me you don't have administrative control over either network, wired or wireless, so you're stuck (at least wrt those ports) unless you can convince whoever does administrate those networks to open those ports.

I assume the P2P application you’re interested in doesn’t allow you to change ports. Ports 80 and 443 are always open and I’m sure at least a few others.

The only remaining option would be to use a proxy to tunnel your P2P traffic over say port 80 (e.g., TOR). Or even a VPN.

It might help if we knew the specific P2P application(s), is this for uTorrent?

Murloc

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Yeah, you are right but on LAN network P2P ports are close but on WiFi network they are opened. So want to make the 2 connections work together and at the same time and use LAN connection (where p2p ports are closed) for websurfing some kind of other stuff and use WiFi ( where p2p ports are opened) only for this ports.
For example: surfing net and download torrent(playing world of warcraft tbh) at the same time so both connection are active. But i dont know how to do it cause my wifi connection doesnt want to work(it's connected but doesnt active) when LAN is active and only when i turn off LAN, wifi start working.

Murloc

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
And yes, i would be very happy if you tell me how to tunnel my P2P traffic for uTorrent :) i think it will be useful to know.

Ohhhhh, I get it. Windows only uses one or the other network adapter, never both at the same time. But you NEED to use both at the same time because each offers some advantage over the other. Otherwise, you're switching back and forth.

Unfortunately you can’t really FORCE Windows to use both network adapters at the same time. You might be tempted to bridge those connection in the OS (that’s technically possible), but Windows is still going to only use ONE of those adapters and its respective Internet gateway.

It’s a bit of a hassle to setup, but one way to get around the problem is by using a VM (Virtual Machine). You could install something like VirtualBox. Use one adapter on the host, use the other adapter on the VM. This works because you actually have two separate instances of Windows, and thus associate a different network adapter to each. Of course, you could do the same thing w/ two physical machines (e.g., desktop and laptop), but if that’s not practical, a VM solves that problem.

Murloc

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Thanks for replying...
Im not really good in such things like VM (Virtual Machine) and have no idea how does it works. So i thing the best way for me just to switch connections when i need p2p ports but it's really annoying :(
Btw, can you be so kind to tell me how to tunnel my P2P, please ? :)

I bet you could (use a VM), but like anything else, it takes some getting used to. But again, I’ve never seen a way to get around this behavior in Windows. You either have to use two machines (or the equivalent, host + VM).

As far as tunneling P2P, you could use the TOR network. Now I have to warn you that not everyone takes kindly to ppl running torrents on that network since they tend to hog so much of the rather limited resources. It's really intended to provide anonymity for LIGHT applications (browsing, email, etc.). And it’s not particularly fast. It sends your data through MULTIPLE machines/proxies in an effort to make it as difficult as possible to trace any particular traffic back to you. IOW, it sacrifices performance for the benefit of anonymity. But it does illustrate the concept of tunneling quite nicely. As an alternative, you could use a VPN provider. In this case, you’d get MUCH better performance, but not as much anonymity (some, but nothing like TOR).

Best thing to do is visit http://www.torproject.org/ and download and install the TOR bundle. It's incredibly easy. It will install TOR, configure the proxy, and even comes w/ a copy of Firefox preconfigured to use that proxy. Read the documentation, it explains the concepts. I'm sure w/ some time and patience you'll learn how to use that same proxy for your P2P application.

Murloc

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Ahhh, i heard about this thing but never used it. Anyway thanks for your help and understanding, eibgrad.

G

Thanks eibgrad. I had a similar problem as I wanted to use both WIFI and wired internet. I have ubuntu installed on VM and I'll try one of the connections on it. Thanks again. You saved my day.

Karteek