[SOLVED] Lan and wireless routers on same Network

geek123

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2012
pbeckley.com
OK I have set up a second wireless router before to extend my WiFi without any trouble. but I am going to try something with 2 routers A) Save money 2)something different for me.

OK here it goes. I have just renew my comcast account and it included the gig speed. From beta testing I have a few netgear devices that I'm going to use for the sake of saving a few dollars.

Running directly off the netgear CM1000 CAT6 to my computer and speed testing on DSLReports, I averaged 825MBPs and feel satisfied with that.

Now I have one router that is a gig, but it is the RAX80 Night Hawk running and holding a average 0f 700MBPs, and can not hold a WiFi signal longer then an hour that is the reason not to use it fully as the only router. WiFi is a POS. [yet they still sell it to unsuspecting customers]. So I would like to use it as the LAN part of the network, and for Wireless I'm using the Netgear R6120, and it keeps up speeds of 180MBPs to 210MBPS depending on area of the house.

So anyone help with the setup? RAX80 first because it lan or WiFi or?

I am open to everyone and all ideas.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Solution
What is the actual purpose of the rax80. Do you need more ethernet ports so you plan to use it as a switch ?

In any case unless you have a very good reason you want want to run both devices as AP rather than a router. Many routers now have this feature but if not search how to use my router as AP it is actually very trivial.

If you do not want to use the wifi on the rax80 just disable the radios. With it set to AP mode and the radios disabled it is pretty much a dumb 4 port switch.

.....so after rereading this it appears I wrongly thought the cm1000 was modem/router.

So you want to run the rax80 as a router just disable the wifi radios. The r6120 you still want to run as a AP
What is the actual purpose of the rax80. Do you need more ethernet ports so you plan to use it as a switch ?

In any case unless you have a very good reason you want want to run both devices as AP rather than a router. Many routers now have this feature but if not search how to use my router as AP it is actually very trivial.

If you do not want to use the wifi on the rax80 just disable the radios. With it set to AP mode and the radios disabled it is pretty much a dumb 4 port switch.

.....so after rereading this it appears I wrongly thought the cm1000 was modem/router.

So you want to run the rax80 as a router just disable the wifi radios. The r6120 you still want to run as a AP

Last edited:
Solution

geek123

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2012
pbeckley.com
The R6120 isn't fast enough for LAN, and the RAX80 has horrible WiFi, I thought the combo of the 2 best qualities would save me the expense of the cost of a new gig router.

One other question was which one should be first. If i use the R6120 will I lose speed?

I want to use the RAX80 on LAN which would be the computers, printers ,and the smart TV. Then all the WIFI is the home stuff. Google home, doorbells, Lights, fans, and plugs that do not need the download speed.

Thanks for your help now and in advance,
Paul

When you use a router as a AP you are basically connecting the wifi radios to the main router via a ethernet cable. In effect you are replacing the radios when you disable the radios in the main router.

It is pretty simple though you use the rax as your main router and plug everything including the "AP" into the lan ports. This is pretty much you standard home user router install. The only strange things you are doing is disabling the radios in the main router because you say they disconnect all the time.

It really is not that different though internally the radio chips are connected to the lan they just use something other than ethernet to do it but functionally it will be the same.

geek123

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2012
pbeckley.com
Thank you that was just what I needed. RAX80 first disable radio and use R6120 second router.

I'm hoping this is a temp fix, and I can purchase a well review Gigabit Modem/Router in my affordable price range.