[SOLVED] LAN blocks at 100mbps

Apr 26, 2020
Hello,
i bought a MSI B360 Gaming Plus 4 months ago. Recently a upgrade my internet package to 200mbps. I tried to do the speed test and it blocks at 100mbps. I tried on a different computer and i reach the 200mbps. I tried to upgrade de BIOS, the drivers and to force the computer to reach 1.0gbps and nothing. I need some help please

Solution
The cable is fine because I tested it on 3 diferent PCS and only in my main PC i dont reach the values. When i tried to force to 1.0gbps the pc doesnt recognize de cable
Then you need to look at the ethernet port on your motherboard. Have any of the 8 wires in the port been bent or damaged?

Having a cable work on another PC is NOT a guarantee that the cable is good, unfortunately. Your specific ethernet port can have different limits for noise, or signal. You NEED to get a brand new commercial cable and connect it directly between the PC and router.

You didn't answer the question, are all the terminations on this cable commercially made?
You want to make sure the setting on the nic are in auto mode.

This is likely a bad cable. Cables can be bad and not actually meet the standards to pass data even though they physically look fine. Some machines are more tolerant of cable that is out of spec than others.

It tends to be your cheapest thing to try to fix this. You have already done all the software things. Make sure you buy a cat5e or better cable that is pure copper with wire size 22-24/

Apr 26, 2020
You want to make sure the setting on the nic are in auto mode.

This is likely a bad cable. Cables can be bad and not actually meet the standards to pass data even though they physically look fine. Some machines are more tolerant of cable that is out of spec than others.

It tends to be your cheapest thing to try to fix this. You have already done all the software things. Make sure you buy a cat5e or better cable that is pure copper with wire size 22-24/
I already have one cat5e cable, and it works just fine in 2 laptops.

Apr 26, 2020
Do you know for sure that the cable has not been damaged in-wall? No broken wires? Is the termination of the cable home-made or commercial?
The cable is fine because I tested it on 3 diferent PCS and only in my main PC i dont reach the values. When i tried to force to 1.0gbps the pc doesnt recognize de cable

kanewolf

Titan
Then you need to look at the ethernet port on your motherboard. Have any of the 8 wires in the port been bent or damaged?

Having a cable work on another PC is NOT a guarantee that the cable is good, unfortunately. Your specific ethernet port can have different limits for noise, or signal. You NEED to get a brand new commercial cable and connect it directly between the PC and router.

You didn't answer the question, are all the terminations on this cable commercially made?

Solution
Two things to try to help narrow down the problem.

First, boot a linux live cd/usb and see if you can get speeds higher than 100Mbps. If so, then stop--it isn't a hardware or network issue, but a windows issue.

Second, get a long cable and run it directly to the router or move your system there and plug in directly to the router and see if that changes anything. If this works, then it is the wiring in the walls.

Apr 26, 2020

Sorry, it is a commercially made cable with 25m. CAT 5e

Apr 26, 2020
I already solve the problem. So, I tested with one UTP CAT6 cable and in deed work in my motherboard LAN port, so if someone have the same problem that I had just upgrade your cable to a new one. I bought for 10$ one PCIE LAN adapter and with my UTP CAT5e cable I can reach the 1GB velocity. Thanks for all that tried to help.

TRENDING THREADS