Lan cable length issue

bunny_58

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
hi
i m having a issue of the max limit of lan cable that can be used for broadband.my provider says min. of 80m would be used so will this 80m affect my broadband speed?as this 80m will covers two roofs which has other connections also so will all this affect my broadband speed please help.

rply on swarnbedi28@gmail.com

min or max? There is no way they would give you a minimum length to use. I think they mean maximum.

It should not affect speeds if you use a longer cable run, as long as the cable works. It will either work at full speeds, or you'll have errors with it if the cable is too long.

g0rd0

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012

Depends on the cable, there is no lan cable per se, 5E tops out at 100 meters and at extreme lengths throughput will drop off. If it's fiber it can go for miles with no dropoff, but if you're on an old phone system then it's probably just going to get messy, so more information please.

bunny_58

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
@Community Reporter- thanks for your suggestion,but dey told me max 85m not more than that.I am not using the connection nowadays, because i am thinking on this topic that such large length can affect my broadband speed..

wat do u think should i go for it? because i dont know wether it will have any affect on my speed or not..

bunny_58

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012

g0rd0

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012

Not sure what exactly you're trying to do with the two roofs and all, but I would go for it. The problem with long cable runs is that you get a greater amount of collisions which slows the connection but not by much. If it ends up being painfully slow or problematic than you'll have to put a repeater in the cable run

TRENDING THREADS