[SOLVED] Lan cable unable to be installed

tjw4811

Prominent
Jul 29, 2019
Hello people of the internet,

I recently ran into a problem when moving into my new house. My land lord has told me that I am unable to install a lan line going up to the room I was planning on setting up my PC. I would like for my PC to be connected to a lan cable instead of a wireless connection as it is unstable and slower (I also game a lot). My point is that I was wondering if anyone knew a way that I could get a solid internet connection through a lan cable to my room?

(I am 4 floors up from where the wifi is being installed so routing a cable up 4 floors is not ideal)

Thanks

Solution
If you ignore details about how it really works it is a very simple device. You plug one unit in by the router and a second in by your pc. It uses the electrical wires in your house to carry the signal and appears more or less like a ethernet cable.

I would advise against the units link above. Those are based on the older av200 technology. Your cases is a little strange, with 4 floors the house must be huge. The av200 had more issues crossing over circuit breakers. The newer av2-600 and av2-1200 has less problems, they are also faster but that they work at all is your primary concern.

I would make sure you buy them from some place you can return them if they do not work. They work well for most people but they are...
If you ignore details about how it really works it is a very simple device. You plug one unit in by the router and a second in by your pc. It uses the electrical wires in your house to carry the signal and appears more or less like a ethernet cable.

I would advise against the units link above. Those are based on the older av200 technology. Your cases is a little strange, with 4 floors the house must be huge. The av200 had more issues crossing over circuit breakers. The newer av2-600 and av2-1200 has less problems, they are also faster but that they work at all is your primary concern.

I would make sure you buy them from some place you can return them if they do not work. They work well for most people but they are dependent on the quality and path of the electrical wires.

Reactions: tjw4811
Solution

tjw4811

Prominent
Jul 29, 2019

I would make sure you buy them from some place you can return them if they do not work. They work well for most people but they are dependent on the quality and path of the electrical wires.

So basically what this thing does is it plugs into an outlet and connects via the electrical cables? So it uses no wireless connections to receive wifi. (Btw I am living in the Netherlands right now in case this is a problem),
Is this all correct?

Thanks for the reply btw

Yes that is what it does. It uses the electrical wires to connect between the 2 units.

Pretty much they only sell the units that work in your country. You would not for example be able to easily get units for the USA since the wall plug is different.

The main concern is you must plug them directly into the wall outlets, no extension cords or power strips. Depending you your needs you may need the units that have outlet plugs on the back so that you can still use the outlet for other devices. The simplest models will block the plug and only the powerline unit can use it.