Lan Card gave up the ship !! )-:

Question, the Linksys etherFast 10/100 Lan Card gave up last night. I
went to the net to check them out and found a replacement for it but it
is a 10/100/1000 Linksys....will this faster one be of any benefit in my
G6 333 mhz Gateway? I know the computer is old but figured if nothing
else it could be put in a future computer (SOMEDAY). I also use the
Linksys workgroup hub but it only recognizes 10/100.

a. Buy just the 10/100?

B. Buy the 10/100/1000 and replace the hub

c. Your computer won't benefit from the 10/100/1000

d. Dump the computer and buy a new one (grin) (This one I like but
the better does not!

Lee

Lee,

Why not another brand? Intel cards are a dime a dozen and they will
plug-and-play in your old computer, if you have the drivers for them, readily
available at the Intel web site. Different brands of WIRED Ethernet equipment
interoperate perfectly well together. That's why there are standards.

The risk with a 10/100/1000 card of any brand is that it requires a motherboard
designed to the PCI 2.1 spec, and I'm pretty sure your older motherboard only
meets PCI 2.0. There is no benefit to a 10/100/1000 card unless it is connected
to a hub or router port handling the highest speed. For sure, it won't speed up
internet access which is even slower than 10BaseT. If every computer in your
small network and every hub/router supported the 1000 speed, yes, you would see
an improvement in inter-computer performance.

.... Ben Myers