[SOLVED] Lan Card VS USB to Lan

Shubham Ambavale

Honorable
Apr 14, 2014
Hi guys, my onboard ethernet port is dead. So I have 2 options to buy, either a Lan Card or a Usb Lan . I want to know what should I buy as the distance between my GPU(Gtx 760) and and PCIe slot(for Lan) is roughly 0.5 to 1cm(max) so if I get a Lan Card I want to know if it will cause any issues for my GPU/LAN card as they will be very close to each other(0.5-1cm).
Link to Image - https://ibb.co/xLzzM6L
Thankyou.

Last edited:
Solution
PCIe slots may be even more precious than USB ports, but use substantially less CPU because USB does not support DMA. That means the CPU must shepherd every bit of data going through USB, and transfers may momentarily stall when the CPU is busy.

It's like a Winmodem running in software. In contrast, PCIe hardware NICs generally offload iPv4 header checksum calculations from the CPU, and later Intel and Realtek Nics can even offload iPv6 payload TCP and UDP checksums too. More enterprise oriented products can offload iPsec AH and ESP used for VPNs too.

The rule of thumb is it takes an entire 2GHz P4 CPU core just to process 1Gbit full-duplex transfers in software, which is why gigabit was so slow back in 2002. While CPU power is...

Shubham Ambavale

Honorable
Apr 14, 2014
5-10mm gap between pci-e cards is plenty. PCI-E cards should be designed so that they do not interfere anything.
So you are saying I should go with the lan card? (Also I think the usb to lan adapter would be a little less consistent than LAN CARD with slightly low speed due to conversion, am I right?)

Edit: I have uploaded the image, you can see the gap between the gpu and slot.

Last edited:
PCIe slots may be even more precious than USB ports, but use substantially less CPU because USB does not support DMA. That means the CPU must shepherd every bit of data going through USB, and transfers may momentarily stall when the CPU is busy.

It's like a Winmodem running in software. In contrast, PCIe hardware NICs generally offload iPv4 header checksum calculations from the CPU, and later Intel and Realtek Nics can even offload iPv6 payload TCP and UDP checksums too. More enterprise oriented products can offload iPsec AH and ESP used for VPNs too.

The rule of thumb is it takes an entire 2GHz P4 CPU core just to process 1Gbit full-duplex transfers in software, which is why gigabit was so slow back in 2002. While CPU power is much more plentiful today, why waste it?

Solution

TRENDING THREADS