Question LAN CLOUD

May 22, 2019
Hi all,

I don't know if this is the right section of the forum to ask this question.

I'm struggling to find software which offers local cloud system which will synchronize files on all computers instantly with local server if any of the computers that are included in the network creates a file. This will help me increase overall performance in CAD software.

Hope that make sense.

Regards

kanewolf

Titan
If those are shared files, then they should be stored in a shared location. Don't create them on local storage and then rely on some kind of sync. Create them on the shared location to start with. If you CAD performance is not optimal, then you should look at a hardware solution like 10GE networking to shared storage.

May 22, 2019
Thank you for your reply. What i want to avoid is 10GbE network because its expensive and it always will create a delay when loading files with my software (topsolid)

What i want to achieve:
  1. opening files saved locally on my workstation in "sync folder"
  2. Working with file and saving them locally on my workstation in "sync folder"
  3. Now cloud software comes in and copies files I've been working with on every workstation that belong to the network
  4. Every time every user open its files locally (library, config, group folder, projects) but they get synced after saving or creating a new one

I know its a bit confusing but this is exactly what i want.

kanewolf

Titan
There is nothing that is "instant", that is the problem. There is no way, when you have multiple copies, to guarantee that you have the most up-to-date copy. There is nothing that prevents two people from updating the same file and writing over each other.
If you have enough storage bandwidth, with 10GE infrastructure, you shouldn't be significantly impacted. 10GE can support 900MB/s which is faster than a SATA SSD.

May 22, 2019
i understand the problem you are talking about but my software detect on the fly if the file was modified by someone else whilst was open. Top-solid supports cooperative design of multiple users. GOOGLE DRIVE is what i want but it will synchronize its self with internet cloud and than with every user if you change your settings which is very slow.

Is there a software that is similar to google drive but works on LAN server only? I know that some QNAP servers allowed to do what i want but i dont have QNAP where i work now.

BTW. i came across this problem couple of years ago but now i want to solve it once and for ever :D

D

Deleted member 14196

I use Total Commanderto sync folders and data, but there are many solutions to do what you have described. develop a process and stick to it

1. Plan your Work
  2. Work your Plan
  3. And your Plan will Work
what you should do is use source repository that users check out and check in, look at a git server to store all your docs and drawings this is your version control, you can tag released dwgs and docs, whatever is in the repo which enables you to extract that state at any time for support purposes

then use a cloud backup service to back up your git server and repos
also back up to NAS, etc...

in short, you need a some kind of source control repository, I love git, best ever, easiest to use. that way a user checks out a local copy of a repo, then makes changes, when all tested and approved, pushes the changes back to the repo. then when it's released you can tag it for storage and later retrieval needs.

it's time to get serious. there is no magic bullet software to do what you want. you need a repository (or many repos) and a work process to follow.

SourceTree client rules for git. My favorite. Set up your Git server, hook this up to it, and BAM, you are in business. there are lots of YouTube tutorials on how to set up repositories and setting user permissions

Last edited by a moderator:
You can use Windows' built-in "Offline files" feature, and schedule sync:
  • open "Control Panel" (yes, it's there), go and setup "Sync Center"
  • connect to a network share, select a folder
  • Right-click, "Make available offline"
It's not instant, but works for me keeping work items between the desktop and laptop.

TRENDING THREADS