Question Lan connection running slower on my pc than WiFi and other pcs

Adrian Palikowski

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2013
I upgraded my modem to a docsis 3.1 which is an upgrade over the 3.0 Comcast modem I had but when I connected I ran a speed test and regardless of which site I ran the speed test on or the server I used my download speed capped at 94 and each time was either 93 or 94 mbps. I have 1.2g download speed and my roommates PCs speed test and my phone thru WiFi both got around 500-600 mbps. I’m not sure if this is the right thread but I appreciate any help in advanced.

(Details edit)
i7 6700k
Asus z170-p d3
12 gb ddr3
Windows 11

modem: nighthawk ax6 ax2700 WiFi cable modem router

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Modem: Make and model?

Router: Make and model?

If you changed your PC from wireless to LAN/wired ensure that only the wired network adapter is enabled on your PC. Wireless network adapter should be disabled.

Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt and post the results.

Reactions: Adrian Palikowski

kanewolf

Titan
I upgraded my modem to a docsis 3.1 which is an upgrade over the 3.0 Comcast modem I had but when I connected I ran a speed test and regardless of which site I ran the speed test on or the server I used my download speed capped at 94 and each time was either 93 or 94 mbps. I have 1.2g download speed and my roommates PCs speed test and my phone thru WiFi both got around 500-600 mbps. I’m not sure if this is the right thread but I appreciate any help in advanced.
94Mbit is usually an indication of a cable problem that causes your ethernet port to negotiate 100Mbit gather than 1GE. Check your port speed and get a new cable if the speed shows 100Mbit.

Adrian Palikowski

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2013
94Mbit is usually an indication of a cable problem that causes your ethernet port to negotiate 100Mbit gather than 1GE. Check your port speed and get a new cable if the speed shows 100Mbit.
New Ethernet cable or coax? My modem is in my roommates room I’m using a 30 ft Ethernet and unfortunately don’t have another to test but I just got my Ethernet a few months ago and it’s a cat7 gold plated cable that can go up to 40g speed

kanewolf

Titan
New Ethernet cable or coax? My modem is in my roommates room I’m using a 30 ft Ethernet and unfortunately don’t have another to test but I just got my Ethernet a few months ago and it’s a cat7 gold plated cable that can go up to 40g speed
Don't believe all that marketing BS. If you are using a flat cable, it is most likely the problem. There are tons of counterfeit cables being sold. If you have a short cable, temporarily move your PC closer and use the short cable to test.

Adrian Palikowski

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2013
I tested my pc with my roommates cord who’s getting the recommended speed on his pc and I’m still capping at 94 mbps. I also got a new cord that’s rounded and I’m having the same issue. I checked my network adapter drivers in my device manager and they’re all up to date