Jan 5, 2021
So i just recently upgraded my pc from an intel i3 6100 to a ryzen 5 1600, and i noticed that after i upgraded, my pc's internet would sometimes cut off on its own and then quickly connect again. this would go on once every few minutes and its starting to annoy me, any idea what might be the problem? thanks

Solution
i have tried resetting the router, unplugging them for a minute than plugging them back in, and the problem still persists.
as for the device manager, i just checked and there doesnt seem to be any warning signs that i noticed, and i have tried the network troubleshooter, and it did say that it fixed something when i ran it, but still, the problem doesnt go away.

i really dont know what else to do, its a bummer cause online school will be a pain in the ass with me constantly disconnecting the zoom class
Does this post describe your problem?

Ethernet wired connection keeps disconnecting:
What I would see were 3 to 5 second internet disconnections every 1 to 3 minutes. Once, I saw three brief disconnections in a...

kanewolf

Titan
So i just recently upgraded my pc from an intel i3 6100 to a ryzen 5 1600, and i noticed that after i upgraded, my pc's internet would sometimes cut off on its own and then quickly connect again. this would go on once every few minutes and its starting to annoy me, any idea what might be the problem? thanks
Did you do a clean OS install when you changed motherboards? If not, that is most likely the problem.

kanewolf

Titan
thats a bummer, but thanks anyway
Whenever you change motherboards you should assume you have to do a clean OS install and prepare appropriately. Some of the preparation should be happening daily any way, like doing backups of critical files. Your hard drive can fail at ANY time. That would REQUIRE an OS install, restore from backup or both.
The safest way to do a new OS install is to buy a new SSD and use that as your boot disk. AFTER you finish the install, drivers and windows updates, THEN connect your existing drive to the machine and copy your critical files to your new C: drive.

Jan 5, 2021
Whenever you change motherboards you should assume you have to do a clean OS install and prepare appropriately. Some of the preparation should be happening daily any way, like doing backups of critical files. Your hard drive can fail at ANY time. That would REQUIRE an OS install, restore from backup or both.
The safest way to do a new OS install is to buy a new SSD and use that as your boot disk. AFTER you finish the install, drivers and windows updates, THEN connect your existing drive to the machine and copy your critical files to your new C: drive.
okay quick question, so in windows 10 they give you the option to entirely wipe out all data from the storage, or you can keep your personal files so that they dont delete the personal data, so is it okay if i keep the personal files so i dont have to backup the whole thing or do i have to do a total reset? thanks

okay quick question, so in windows 10 they give you the option to entirely wipe out all data from the storage, or you can keep your personal files so that they dont delete the personal data, so is it okay if i keep the personal files so i dont have to backup the whole thing or do i have to do a total reset? thanks
Choosing the option to keep your personal files should be fine. The option to entirely wipe out all your data is only necessary if you are worried your computer has been infected with a virus.

Jan 5, 2021
Have you tried resetting your modem and router by unplugging them for 30 seconds?
Have you looked in Device Manager for any Yellow warning signs?
Have you tried running the "Network troubleshooter" in PC Settings?
i have tried resetting the router, unplugging them for a minute than plugging them back in, and the problem still persists.
as for the device manager, i just checked and there doesnt seem to be any warning signs that i noticed, and i have tried the network troubleshooter, and it did say that it fixed something when i ran it, but still, the problem doesnt go away.

i really dont know what else to do, its a bummer cause online school will be a pain in the ass with me constantly disconnecting the zoom class

kanewolf

Titan
No. That doesn't remove the remnants of the old motherboard. You can try, but, IMO you are only delaying the necessary step.

What I would see were 3 to 5 second internet disconnections every 1 to 3 minutes. Once, I saw three brief disconnections in a single minute. I had to frequently reload web pages when they failed to load, and it interrupted downloading of large files and disrupted connections to websites.

RESOLVED - finally found the solution. For anyone else with this issue disabling the following settings should work:
Go to Device Manager, network adapters and find the Ethernet one.
- right click for properties - advanced
Disable Energy efficient Ethernet (and or green energy) and Wake on magic packet.

Solution
Jan 5, 2021

What I would see were 3 to 5 second internet disconnections every 1 to 3 minutes. Once, I saw three brief disconnections in a single minute. I had to frequently reload web pages when they failed to load, and it interrupted downloading of large files and disrupted connections to websites.

RESOLVED - finally found the solution. For anyone else with this issue disabling the following settings should work:
Go to Device Manager, network adapters and find the Ethernet one.
- right click for properties - advanced
Disable Energy efficient Ethernet (and or green energy) and Wake on magic packet.
wow yeah that exactly describes my problem right now. ill get back to you if it fixes the problem. thanks!