LAN Network

G

Does anyone know if it is possible to create a LAN network without an internet connection?

LAN <> WAN. LAN means LOCAL area network, the no internet conenction part is kinda implied there if you use a strict definition.

You can make a LAN by just wiring up the comuters to any hub or switch and configuring them all for the same Workgroup. You'd need to assign the IPs manually though unless you have a router or server that does this for you. But even if you use a router for DHCP, you don't need to have it hooked up to the internet.

Psychoteddy

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Does anyone know if it is possible to create a LAN network without an internet connection?

I'm not quite sure what your intention is in doing this, but let's clarify a few things to make sure you know what to expect.

There are two basic types of networks: LANs and WANs

LAN (Local Area Network): A network comprised of local machines in a common geographic location (ie - a single office building, house, etc). A local area network allows users to share information between other computers on this network such as files, videos, music, etc.

WAN (Wide Area Network): A network comprised of several machines spread out over a very large (wide) area. This is the connection that you would use to get out to the internet.

If you setup a LAN isolated from a WAN, you will not have internet access, but you will still be able to share files and other information between your computers. That's the main difference.

G

I am asking on behalf of a friend as he has dial up and 3 pcs and wants to play multiplayer games. he has 2 desktop pcs and a laptop that has wireless. wot would be the easiest and cheapest setup.

Psychoteddy

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
If he's thinking about playing anything but Runescape on a dial-up connection, as much as I hate to say it, he'd better quit while he's ahead. The latency (lag) will just be too great. A lot of games now implement QoS (Quality of Service) limitations, where you will be automatically kicked from the game if your computer or your network connection slows in performance. In order to play most modern games you should be running at least a 3-5Mbps connection that's relatively close to your ISP's DSL servers. Ideally you'd want a high speed broadband connection, but it can be done on DSL with the right conditions.

If you're splitting that dial-up connection across three computers, I can guarantee with 110% certainty that it will not work, not even for the most basic of basic games.

He could go with satellite internet I suppose but I fear that the latency would be too high even then.

Psychoteddy

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
BUT!!!!

If you're playing on a LAN this will work. You just can't play on the internet. (I forgot what your original post was about). I would highly recommend a wired network for this application because a lot of games have problems communicating between wired and wireless clients (for some reason I can't remember why at the moment). You shouldn't have any problems with a good ol' wired router and some ethernet cable. ;)

Hope this helps!!

Note to mods: Sorry about the double post, for some reason the forum wouldn't let me edit the above.

G

PsychoTeddy he is not looking to use an internet connection just connect them together with cables. I know you can do this with 2 pcs but he has 3 he wants to lan.

G

Can you use a router without an internet connection?

Psychoteddy

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Can you use a router without an internet connection?

Yes, you can use the router without an internet (WAN) connection. It has a built-in switch and DHCP server to make things simple (hopefully). I don't really see why you'd need to setup static IPs, it's both complicated (for average users) and not necessary for this application IMO.

You need to use static IPs if he does not have a DHCP server, see my second post which is basically repeated a few times here.