LAN Not Working on MSI All-In-One

Oct 23, 2018
Hello.
I have an MSI MS-AC71 (on the msi website it appears as AE2210) running Windows 7 and the LAN isn't working. In Device Manager I can only see the Wireless Network Adapter, which worker fine, and a "PCI Simple Communications Controller" that appears as not installed. Windows automatically tries to install the driver, but it fails. Then it appears as "Intel(R) Management Engine Interface" with that yellow exclamation mark, and in the Properties window of that device, it says "This device cannot start. (Code 10)". I have tried installing the LAN Drivers from the MSI website, but the installer stops at some point, and says the device I am trying to install can not be detected in the system (or something similar).
I've thought the ethernet card might be disabled from BIOS, but there's no such thing in there. There is nothing there related to a network card, and the BIOS is... primitive. Unfortunately, there is no other BIOS version on the MSI website.
Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't know what else I could do.

Sounds like the integrated ethernet adapter has failed if it won't allow you to install the driver for it. First, try updating the motherboard bios and reinstalling the driver again.

If that doesn't work or if there are no bios updates available for your board then I'd contact MSI and see what they have to say. If the board is still under warranty and the LAN controller has failed then they need to replace the entire motherboard.

There should be something in the bios related to the network adapter. Settings for LAN and Network stack should be present in practically all motherboards since the last fifteen years or so. Most of them anyway.

Another option if it is not under warranty would be to simply by a PCI network card and install that.

Oct 23, 2018

Thank you for your reply.
Unfortunately, I don't think adding another network card is a solution, because it's an All-In-One and it uses a notebook motherboard, so there's not much room or available ports where I could add another card. Besides, that would mean I would have to make a hole in it, where I would plug in the network cable, and that's really not something I am interested in doing. The system is out of warranty, so MSI won't help either. The only solution I can see for now, is to buy an USB network card, But I wanted to try everything else, before doing so.

if in the end you find out it has failed you can always buy a USB dongle to use ethernet again.. the person who made that comment may not have noticed you said it was an AIO PC

Yep, that would have been my next reply was to get a USB ethernet adapter. I don't like them as much, but they work. Or, simply use the wireless adapter. For an AIO you really don't need the low ping and latency of a PCI card because you probably aren't doing the same things on it that you'd be doing on a desktop such as high end gaming.

For downloads and such, or browsing, a USB adapter or wireless connection will work fine. In future threads you might post, it would be a good idea to not only list the model number, but the fact that it IS an AIO unit so there is no confusion without having to go research your model just to start thinking about solutions.

Oct 23, 2018

Sorry, but the title is "LAN Not Working on MSI All-In-One", so I thought that was clear enough.

Oct 23, 2018
After all, I bought a USB ethernet adapter, and everything works fine. As darkbreeze said, since it's an AIO, there will be no high-end gaming happening, so, the USB ethernet should be enough.
Thanks everyone for your replies.

I guess you did say that. Still probably a good idea in the future to also put it in the post. Seems that knuckleheads, like me, might skip right over important information in the title and go straight to the information in the post. My appologies.

Glad you got it sorted out though. Good luck to you.