LAN ports at my apartment complex not working

Sep 26, 2018
My LAN ports at home are not working. I talked to my ISP installer and he mentioned that the cables are not hooked up and there is no switch. I am unexperienced with these things but I have a picture of what it looks like inside the IT box. See pictures. My modem or my router will not fit in the IT/Data box and this is located at a corner inside the apartment, therefore I cant put my router since other places wont get signal.

https://imgur.com/a/6DPjU5t

Any help is appreciated! I can also provide more info in case you need it.

Those wires need to be either terminated with rj45 plugs or you need to terminate them to a small patch panel. Some of those wires are likely phone wires so you would have to figure out which wire go to which jacks.

I would first ask the complex to terminate these. If they don't want to ask if they have a issue with you doing it.

Although not the cheapest option it is easier than crimping ends on cables for new people. I would use something like this to terminate the wires.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-8-Port-Cat-5E-Data-Expansion-Board-5530/206415745

After that you can place a switch in the box. Some of the details will depend where your router is located, there must be a cable running back to this box from the room you place the router in so you can connect it to the switch.

If u have to ask, can't do this yourself, need a Pro.

If this is a new complex, they probably haven't gotten around to finish it. However if is old, management may just give you the take-it-or-leave-it and up to your own expense to finish that wiring.

stevensl2

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
Unfortunately if it can't be placed inside then none of your ports are going to work except the one thats hooked up to your modem. If there is an free ethernet jack beside your modem/router you can plug in a patch cable from your router into the wall.

You'll have to add a switch inside your panel and terminate all the heads. You can just grab a spare ethernet cable and mimic how it's done.

https://www.amazon.ca/SGILE-Network-Professional-Computer-Maintenacnce/dp/B01L924436/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1538520066&sr=8-7&keywords=termination%2Bkit%2Brj45&th=1

Sep 26, 2018
So here what I've figured out. As y'all mentioned, the closet doesn't have a switch. Do you guys have any recommendations? Spectrum internet comes in at about 115 mbps (this is the plan I have).I would need to get a switch, even buy a used one but I dont want something that would limit the internet. Spectrum already put in the RJ45 plugs into the cables, so at this point would I just need to put in the modem inside the closet, plug the switch to the modem and then hook up the rest of the RJ45s in the closet into the switch. Then connect them all to power and thats it right? Or would I have to program/setup/configure something just like a router?

The path must go modem-router-switch.

If the device you call a modem contains a router then it is fine by itself.

You can get a 8 port 10/100/1000 switch for about $25 so that is likely you best bet.

Now "maybe" you can leave the modem and router where it currently is. I will assume it connect via coax cable ?

So you could go---coax cable from ISP----room1 coax jack---modem--router--ethernet connected to lan port-----room 1 ethenet jack----switch in closet connect to all cables including one going to room 1.

So in effect you have a really long ethernet cable connecting the router to the switch in the closet rather than connecting it directly in the closet.

Sep 26, 2018

I was thinking on connecting the modem > switch > wall ports. Then I could hook the router (in my living room) to the wall port and would enable wifi. The switch would also serve the other wall ports in the house (ps4 in my room). Correct me if I am wrong! I am trying to learn as much as possible in case it happens when I move lol.

Sep 26, 2018

So, basically you are saying that if I want to buy the switch. I would have to put the router in that closet as well? and then get another router located in a central space in the apartment?

bill maybe on vacation so I answer...

Most ISP will be able to give you a GATEWAY. GATEWAY=modem+NAT+WIFI+4_ports_Switch in one box. There should be 4 LAN ports on this box to hook up your ethernets. If you need more than 4 ethernet clients and you have the wall wirings for it then to add to the 4 LAN ports, adding an ethernet switch here will do that.

In a small apartment you WIFI router here should be OK, but in a larger space, say >3000 sqf, having a separate box as your WIFI router centrally located would cover the whole house better.

phaelax

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013
Just so I understand your situation, you have a box inside your apartment which contains the unterminated ethernet cables? And your modem's coax also comes in through there as well? The apartment has wall jacks everywhere and you wish to use them?

Terminate the existing cables and get a cable tester so you can match each line to the appropriate wall location. Pick up a $20 switch and plugs the wires into it and the modem.

What modem do you have? If it's spectrum, I bet it's a surfboard or something.
I hate that company so much I chased off their last guy trying to sell me junk with a hatchet. (he refused to leave my property until he change my mind about the new company, I convinced him otherwise)