LAN ports will not respond with a direct connection

SteveGB

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
new HG533 router connects OK, wireless is fine but cannot get a connection via LAN ports unless I route via a network hub

Are you trying to connect a computer to a computer via a Lan cable?

Also please tell me it is a network switch and not a network hub, hubs are from the 90s and in todays world are useless. The difference is lets say it has 8 ports on it. A hub does not know one computer from the next so it has to send the data to all 8 ports. A switch on the other hand knows that computer with mac address 11-22...... is on port #6 and only sends the data to port 6.

SteveGB

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014

I guss its a switch then, it works fine with my old wireless router. the real issue is the new router will not recognise a cable plugged directly in to it, (switch not in the equation now). Cable from PC nic to wireless router port does not even light up, cant even access the router setup pages this way (192.168.1.1 etc). But if I go via the switch it does light the router port and all seems well. Everything works as normal with old router, both direct cable connections and also extras via the switch.

Is the switch plugged into the same ethernet port on the router that you tried to plug the pc directly into?

If so then that is a really weird issue. There is no reason why a router would not allow a single PC to have a lan connection, but allow a switch to give multiple computers a connection.

FYI, the router ports is its own buit in internal switch.

SteveGB

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014

Yes same port, have actually tried all 4. Only reason I use the extra switch is to connect more devices.

Well the good news is that it is not you.

That is certianly a weird issue.
Since it works just fine in the switch I would leave it that way.
It is actually better to do it that way because the devices on the switch can comunicate with one another without even needing to go up to the router.