LAN Printer with a main router and WAP

ihuey99

Prominent
Sep 5, 2017
Hey everyone, I have a small networking problem that I would like input for. Any help is appreciated!

At our small business, we have a Cable Modem/Router (non-wifi). Connected to the LAN ports are:
1) Computer #1
2) To Netgear WGR-619v4 LAN 1 port as a Wireless Repeater
3) Computer #2
4) Credit Card Terminal

The wireless system has been working fine for a few years. The Wireless printer now will not connect via wifi, no matter how often it's factory reset and re-setup.

I wanted to connect this printer to the network via wired connection, but was not sure how to connect the printer in general.

Is it possible to connect the printer to a LAN port on the netgear router acting as an Access Point?

If I connect LAN 2 to the WAN port on the netgear router and the printer directly to a LAN port on the netgear, I will lose communication between the computers and the printer according to many sites which I have been researching the issue.

Is there a better way to set this up with the current hardware we have?
Should I just connect both computers to the Netgear router and connect the netgear router to the main modem/router via the WAN port? Thanks everyone!

Solution
Not sure you should be using the netgear as a repeater unless you are just calling your AP function that.

If the netgear has a function that makes it a AP it pretty much just converts the WAN port into a extra lan port. Hooking the lan port together between your routers makes the second routers lan ports work the same as if you had a dumb switch connected. It in effect just adds more ports to your main router. You should be able to connect a printer to it and it should work....assuming the printer is not even more broken than you think.
Not sure you should be using the netgear as a repeater unless you are just calling your AP function that.

If the netgear has a function that makes it a AP it pretty much just converts the WAN port into a extra lan port. Hooking the lan port together between your routers makes the second routers lan ports work the same as if you had a dumb switch connected. It in effect just adds more ports to your main router. You should be able to connect a printer to it and it should work....assuming the printer is not even more broken than you think.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS