[SOLVED] LAN stops working with more than 10Mbps Full Duplex

May 28, 2020
Hi folks
Out of nowhere my internet via LAN and WLAN to my PC stopped working. I always got the message "no internet access" and after a long test I set the value to "10 Mbps Full Duplex" on the LAN adapter under the option "Speed & Duplex". After that my internet connection worked again. But as soon as I set the value back to "Auto Negotiation" the connection does not work anymore.

Because I had another network card lying around, I installed it and with this one I get the same error. Also with a LAN adapter this seems to happen.

It can't be because of the LAN cable, because this runs on my Notbook on 1Gbps without problems. Nevertheless I have tested different cables and got the same error again and again.

Now I have no idea what the problem is and I need your help. On all other such threads it was always due to a cable error.

Thanks for your support

Solution
There are really only 3 things that can cause this. A bad port in the router, a bad port in the pc, a bad cable.
Since you have used 2 nic cards it eliminates the bad port in the pc.

A cable is the most common cause of this. It can work on some devices and not others. Some devices are more tolerant of cable that are out of spec than others.

All it takes to cause this is one of the wires in the plug to get just slightly loose. This is much more common when you are using a fake ethernet cable. The ones with CCA wire rather than copper tend to work loose more and the flat/thin type the wires have tendency to break more.

Buy a new cat5e or better cable that is pure copper with wire size 22-24
There are really only 3 things that can cause this. A bad port in the router, a bad port in the pc, a bad cable.

A cable is the most common cause of this. It can work on some devices and not others. Some devices are more tolerant of cable that are out of spec than others.

All it takes to cause this is one of the wires in the plug to get just slightly loose. This is much more common when you are using a fake ethernet cable. The ones with CCA wire rather than copper tend to work loose more and the flat/thin type the wires have tendency to break more.

Reactions: DragonsBreats
Solution
May 28, 2020

Thank you very much for this quick answer. I tested the connection at the beginning with a thin cable and afterwards with a CAT5E which I had lying around. I have the same problems with this cable.
I use a WLAN repeater with three different ports, I have tested them all and none of them work.

Not sure what to suggest you have eliminated all the possibilities.

This pretty much a hardware function. There really is no software bug that can cause issues like this.

Make sure you always run it on auto. To use any other setting both ends must be configured and almost no router has any option to set it.